series published across multiple years

Is it possible to have Zotero enter a range of years for the publication date of a multivolume series? In the Date field I've entered "1991–2016," but in footnotes and the bibliography Zotero lists the date as "1991." I can change this manually, but I thought I'd check to see if Zotero can list the date as "1991–2016" automatically.

Thanks!!
  • not currently, no. You can enter 1991_2016 and might find that easier to change, but Zotero can't currently do date ranges. Definitely planned, though.
  • You can get this to render properly by entering it into the Extra field like this:

issued: 1991/2016

Better support for various date formats in the Date field itself is planned, but no ETA on when that might happen.
  • Thanks, adam smith and bwiernik. Entering "issued: 1991/2016" in the Extra field worked.
  • @adamsmith citeproc-js's Extra parsing can handle date ranges in ISO format for all the date variables.
  • Is there a way for this solution to work for publications of series that are still in progress and don't have an end date (thus, e.g., "1931–")?
  • @fbennett Is that possible somehow? I don’t see it in the citeproc-is docs
  • Ah, looks like I previously raised this question and forgot about it. :-)

@bwiernik, @fbennett, et al., would you have any advice on getting notes and bibliography to include a trailing en dash if the series isn't yet complete?

To give a bit more detail than I gave previously in case it's helpful, this applies to the SBL style (per its agreement with CMS) and to Chicago style per §14.144 (17th ed.).

Thus, for example, with the following resource:
    TY - BOOK
    TI - Septuaginta: Vetus Testamentum Graecum
    A3 - Hanhart, Robert
    A3 - Kappler, Werner
    A3 - Quast, Udo
    A3 - Rahlfs, Alfred
    A3 - Wevers, John William
    A3 - Ziegler, Joseph
    CN - BS741 .A4
    CY - Göttingen
    DA - 1931///
    PY - 1931
    PB - Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht
    ST - Septuaginta
    KW - Bible
    KW - Versions
    ER -

the first footnote should be (sans underlining):
    Robert Hanhart et al., eds., Septuaginta: Vetus Testamentum Graecum (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1931).
    But what I'm getting is:
    Robert Hanhart et al., eds., Septuaginta: Vetus Testamentum Graecum (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1931).
    I've tried putting issued: 1931/ and a few other things in the "Extra" field, but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.

Would you have any suggestions about getting the kind of output that the SBL and Chicago styles are wanting for this use case?

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Entering it as:
    issued: "2016–"

will work. This will pass the text of 2016 followed by an en-dash literally without parsing.
  • @bwiernik, thanks so much. That does work perfectly!