Feature request - Toggle for PDF downloads in connector menus

At my day job, I prepare weekly literature email updates for my colleagues. I currently just copy/paste individual journal titles and URLs, but I'd like to switch to sending around Zotero-generated bibliographies. However, I don't really need or want the PDFs for all these articles in my library, but I also don't want to go into the Zotero preferences each time to toggle the PDF downloads.

Would it make sense to add an option to the connector menus to quickly toggle the downloading of PDFs (and/or snapshots) for cases like this one?
  • edited April 17, 2017
    Also, somewhat related, I would love it if Zotero made it easier to quickly get a fully formatted reference for a given webpage, for when I want to share an article with somebody.

Currently, I would need to save the item to my library from the browser, switch to Zotero, select the item, and e.g. use Quick-Copy or select "Create Bibliography from Item...", and then delete the item. I much rather have a way to get a formatted reference directly through the connector.
  • Also, somewhat related, I would love it if Zotero made it easier to quickly get a fully formatted reference for a given webpage, for when I want to share an article with somebody.
    I think that would be nice, yes. The Google Scholar Button does a version of this, but it does it quite poorly.
  • Zutilo has long had an option to run translators without attachments via the right-click/secondary menu of the connector. An option to Quick Copy from the menu would also be great.
  • One way both of these things could be implemented is allowing for customization of the action Zotero takes when left-clicking the connector button in the browser. E.g. Zotero could add a submenu to select the desired action, and show the selected action in the button tooltip. The submenu could look like:

"Button Action"
    * "Save to Zotero (with PDFs)"
    * "Save to Zotero (without PDFs)"
    * "Save formatted reference to Clipboard"
  • @bwiernik, thanks. Will take a look at Zutilo.
  • Problem is that I don't think Zutilo works in the connectors, so while this was solved for 4.0 in Firefox, there's no solution for 5.0 as of now
  • (bump for dev response)
  • Would it make sense to add an option to the connector menus to quickly toggle the downloading of PDFs (and/or snapshots) for cases like this one?
    I would love it if Zotero made it easier to quickly get a fully formatted reference for a given webpage, for when I want to share an article with somebody.
    Yup, both planned. I've created tickets:

https://github.com/zotero/zotero-connectors/issues/206
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero-connectors/issues/205