New Field Request: citation count

I would like to suggest a new field to contain "citation count" such as provided in the lower left (left side of bottom line) of a Google Scholar result.

When using Zotero for my online, literature research, I often want to capture many citations into Zotero but at the same time would also like to capture citation count to allow me to prioritize which ones I should read and consider using first.

Rationale: For me, the number of citations (citation count) a publication (entry into my Zotero database) has received is a reflection of the visibility, interest, importance, acceptance by the field and potentially even quality (though it is typically impossible to a priori deconvolute all of these factors' relative contribution to the citation count).

To illustrate, article 1 and 2 are cited 189 and 1 times, respectively (at the time of the search) at https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=10.1038/nmeth.3047&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

Accordingly, I think it would be valuable to have a Zotero field to capture citation count so that one could see and compare the citation counts from among a number of Zotero entries. It would help to prioritize the citations.

Actually, I would think it great if we could add our own fields to Zotero but this does not seem possible. Maybe this would break sharing?

• The Zotero Google Scholar Citations plugin pulls citation count information from Google Scholar and adds it to the Extra field (which can be used for sorting).
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/zotero-scholar-citations/

Be aware, though, that it is very easy to get locked out of Google for sending automated requests if you use the plugin to update a large number of items at once.
  • bwiernik, Thank you for your reply.

I usually use Zotero standalone...but I would be willing to use this addon with Zotero in Firefox on segments of my library if the Google scholar citation counts could later be used in Zotero standalone. I will try it out.

I am surprised citation count is not more coveted (though I accept it is an imperfect measure of quality).
  • the add-on works for Standalone, too. Just download the file by right-click --> Save as on the Add to Firefox button and the install from Tools --> Add-ons in Zotero by clicking on the little tool icon and selecting "Install from File"
  • edited October 6, 2016
    I love the zotero-scholar-citations add-on! This is just what I needed. I suggest this as a must have (add-on) feature for Zotero.

Thank you
    - Anton Beloglazov for writing it
    - bwiernik for bringing it to my attention
    - adamsmith for explaining that it also work in Zotero standalone

• zotero-scholar-citations version 1.9.3 works well with zotero standalone 5.0 (I'm using zotero 5.0.54).
  • An update, almost a year after the above: version 2.0.3 works well with Zotero standalone 5.0.72.

I further note that after one "prove you're not a robot" Captcha event, I was able to update 90 items at a time without further Captcha triggering.