Can't generate bibliography in Word (Mac)

While writing a paper I'm able to easily insert my references but when it comes to creating the bibliography I get this message:

"You cannot create a bibliography when using a note-based style"

I'm using Chicago Manual of Style (note with bibliography) as my style setting. I'm using Word for Mac 2004.

Anybody have any ideas on why I can't get this to work?
  • I had the same problem (also on Mac, also Word 2004). I'm happy to help test the alpha, but it looks like it may be a while before I'm able to ditch Endnote.
  • shoot, I was hoping I was just missing something simple but I guess you can't really bitch to much since its only in alpha. Thanks anyway.
  • Has anyone figured this out yet-also am using Mac 10.4.9, Intel Core) and MS Word for Mac, 2004.

The footnotes come out just fine, but I can't generate a bibliography. Is there an alternative way of creating a bib and then just pasting it at the end of the paper as a temporary solution?
  • padilla: Are you using Beta 4 and the latest version of the Word plugin, downloadable from the documentation page? Support for this was added in Beta 4.
  • Mr Stillman: I thought I had the latest plugin, but just to make sure I went in, uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. (I also downloaded Zotero a day or teo ago, in anticipation of a workshop here today at Northwestern, so I am guessing I have the latest Beta version).

The plugin works...but, I don't seem to be able to do both things. In other words, in my papers, I use footnotes, and it seems that the plugin lets me either enter the books as complete footnotes, but then I can't seem to just click and generate a full bibliography. In other words, "Note w/Bib" shortens the footnote, but includes a full bib, while "Note w/o Bib" includes a full footnote, but then I can't generate a full bib at the end (I get a message saying,"Not available for this style.") I am using the Chicago Manual, BTW.

Thanks .
  • I just tested this on Windows Word 2003 and get the same behavior. I also glanced at the Word plugin code and this part of it appears fine.

I think the behavior is by design and follows the recommendation of Chicago 15 16.3. If full publication details are included in the bibliography, only a shortened citation should be used in the footnote. This is what the "Notes with bibliography" in Zotero produces. The style "notes without bibliography," produces, well, no bibliography.

This is not, however, the behavior of the Chicago 15th style in EndNote, in A or B versions of the style. It seems Zotero should follow Chicago and not EndNote's weird implementation of Chicago. If we need a style that is bug-for-bug compatible with EndNote, it should be a new one called "EndNote's Chicago 15th A" or "EndNote's Chicago 15th B".
  • Ok, but then it seems that Zotero is less useful in this regard-that is, I don't mind if the footnotes appear the way they do in Zotero (I'll get used to it) but it would be helpful to have the option of having the full bibliography appear as one adds footnotes or endnotes. Otherwise, how would I add the bibliography to the paper, especially when writing a paper with many footnotes?
  • Actually, never mind (sorry, lack of sleep). I see the answer: "Note with Bib" works just fine. Sorry.