Google Scholar Translation issues

• so it's the matter of my network operation system?

my another pc are in the same internet environment, i don't know what happened to my Surface, will it be that I have updated to latest Win10?
  • Pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with Win10; we'd have more reports of this new failure.
    Are you in mainland China? Could this somehow be affected by a block on some google functionality?
  • yes, I use a Host file to get access to Google Scholar.
    However, both of my two computers using the same Host file and in the same network environment.
    I don't know how to figure out the problem.
  • I'm sorry, but if you have -- for whatever reason -- a google scholar page that's not fully functional (i.e. doesn't display metadata), I don't think there's anything we can do on the Zotero side.
  • Thank you!
    I've known the reason. It's IPV6, my PC can access to IPV6 while my Surface can't.
    IPV6 helps get the BibTex and other cite formation code. IPV4 have been blocked.
  • I have no problems downloading citations through Google scholar but still can't using Zotero.

It doesn't matter what I search in Google Scholar, none of the pages allow Zotero to save the citations on that page.

But an example URL:
    https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=cobia&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C19&as_sdtp=
  • Works for me. Could you confirm your Zotero version and your set-up?
    If you submit an error report and look at it, could you copy the error message referring to google scholar and paste it here?
    It'd be similar to
    [JavaScript Error: "BibTeX not found." {file: "eval at eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:4), <anonymous>" line: 566}]
  • Zotero Connector v. 4.0.29.1
    Using google chrome

Error message:
    [JavaScript Error: "Could not find BibTeX URL" {file: "eval at eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:4), <anonymous>" line: 544}]

Thanks for your help!
  • For some reason you're on the old translator still.
    Do you have Standalone running when you try this? Have you clicked "Update Now" in the general tab of the preferences?
    What version of Standalone (not the Chrome connector) are you running (check under about Zotero)?
  • I've tried to update the translator. I am running standalone while trying to save citations. I'm running Standalone version 4.0.29.10
  • Could you find your Zotero data folder
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library
    in it, open the folder "Translators", and finded the file "Google Scholar.js" (may just appear as "Google Scholar"). Open the file using a text editor (TextEdit, Notepad), copy the first 13 lines (starting and ending with curly brackets) and paste them here.

Then also provide a debug ID for the process of clicking "Update Now" (i.e. enable debug, click update now, wait until it says up to date, then send debug).
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

Got these errors next time I tried to save a citation

[JavaScript Error: "getTranslators: detection is already running" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js" line: 1056}]

[JavaScript Error: "Could not find BibTeX URL" {file: "eval at eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:4), <anonymous>" line: 544}]
  • yeah, I wouldn't have expected re-install to fix this (it leaves the data folder in place). Please see my questions above.
  • I apologize, I hadn't seen your previous request. Here is that information.

{
    "translatorID": "57a00950-f0d1-4b41-b6ba-44ff0fc30289",
    "translatorType": 4,
    "label": "Google Scholar",
    "creator": "Simon Kornblith, Frank Bennett, Aurimas Vinckevicius",
    "target": "^https?://scholar[-.]google[-.](com|cat|(com?[-.])?[a-z]{2})(\\.[^/]+)?/(scholar(_case)?\\?|citations\\?)",
    "minVersion": "3.0",
    "maxVersion": null,
    "priority": 100,
    "inRepository": true,
    "browserSupport": "gcsibv",
    "lastUpdated": "2016-07-30 09:40:00"
    }

The Debug ID is D1829370117.
  • that's really odd -- did you ever try editing translators in Zotero?
    In any case, try resetting translators from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences, then update them again.
    Restart both Chrome and Zotero and try again. See if that helps.

If it doesn't, manually download the Google Scholar file from here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zotero/translators/master/Google%20Scholar.js
    and replace the one in your translators folder with it. No need to update translators after that, but you will need to restart Zotero & Chrome.
  • @adamsmith: What's odd here? Is there some reason to think EFH doesn't have the latest translator version?
  • Partly this was me misreading the lines of the error messages in the code, but why is the update date of EFH's version later than that on github?
  • It seems that the translator now works for general google scholar searches, but when I try to download citations that I've saved within a google scholar library I'm still getting a translator error. Any idea why this might be happening?
  • I don't think we have tested that, so very much possible that's broken (still).
  • why is the update date of EFH's version later than that on github?
    The timestamp on GitHub is only used to trigger a push. The actual time pushed to clients is the current time rounded to the nearest five minutes (or something like that).
  • ID 512612894

Hello, I have probelms to collect multiple saved sources from google scholar with the firefox extension to zotero stand alone.

I also tried it with the chrome browser and the extension.

All extensions, firefox and zotero is updated to the latest version.

Kind Regards
    Tim
  • We'd want a URL exactly as you see it in addition to the error report ID (@Dan could you check the error report?)
  • Hope this complete my issue report.
    Thank you in advance.
    Tim

https://scholar.google.de/scholar?scilib=1&hl=de&as_sdt=0,5
  • great, thanks; importing from saved citations is still broken, I can replicate that (Dan, no error report needed anymore).
  • A translator fix for the remaining issue -- the saved lists -- is now up.
    Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences. If you're using Standalone, restart Zotero and your browser after updating.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting

@Dan -- this thread can be unpinned.
  • I'm still unable to save from a google scholar library using the chrome Zotero connector or standalone.
  • URL as you see it?
  • https://scholar.google.com/scholar?scilib=1&hl=en&as_sdt=0,10
  • works for me. Could you copy the error report here once more?
  • [JavaScript Error: "Could not find BibTeX URL" {file: "eval at eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:4), <anonymous>" line: 544}]