Major issue Zotero standalone + Chrome plugin for Ma with Word for Mac

Running Zotero standalone for Mac + Chrome plugin for Mac on my Macbook Air (Yosemite 10.10.5). with Word for Mac version 14.2.3. Have done this for 2 years and have never encountered problems. But now whenever I try to edit the FIRST citations in my document it screws up all the citations in the remainder of the document--showing me only the (excessive) source code and not the little numbers in superscripts or the citations. I understand that Zotero automatically updates and I have made sure I have the most updated versions of both the main program and plug-in. Have started over about 6 times, tried numerous workarounds. Have searched Zotero forums, to no avail. Please advise--I cannot move forward in this manuscript I am editing and I am very frustrated.
  • Do you have track changes enabled? I believe with that, Word might force show the field codes when they update, which they do if you add a citation at the beginning. But it's just a display issue: You can just hide all the field codes again by pressing alt+fn+f9
  • Thanks for your speedy & thorough help, Adam! The alt fn f9 worked! However, I need to see the track changes in order to incorporate the edits from my mentor so I will have to fiddle around with looking at a second copy of the same document to track changes while keeping the main document with track changes off.
  • or you just press alt+FN+F9 after each change to a citation.
  • okay thanks again!
  • Hi there, I have an - I think - related query.

Have used Zotero on pc for 2 years, no problems. Just moved to Mac and can't now work out how to edit a citation so that I can for example make a single citation a multiple one.

Adam could you advise? Or anyone..

Thanks!

Best

Lizz
  • But you have the Word add-on running in general? It works exactly the same way on Mac and Windows, so not sure where exactly the problem is.
    Do you remember what you used to do more specifically (i.e. which buttons/keys etc.)?
  • Yes I used to click in the footnote citation. Then the little box would come up with my authors in, as a bar across Word. Then I'd click after the authors I already had, and add more.

Now I am redirected to Zotero standalone (ie I see the whole thing) and if I choose another author it replaces the old one, instead of adding.
  • In the Zotero Standalone preferences, check if under "Cite" the "Use Classic Add Citation dialog" option is checked. If so, uncheck it.
  • It was! And now the little box is back. Thanks! I know it was an easy one but I wouldn't have looked there on my own ..