container-title-short doesn't use journalAbbreviation but shortens publicationTitle

Hi,

I have a problem with CSL + Word-Addin:

In my CSL stylesheet, I use the following in a citation-style for a journal article:

text variable="container-title-short"

The article I want to cite has (inter alia) the following properties:

publicationTitle: Computer und Recht
journalAbbreviation: CR

Now, sometimes when I cite the article using the Word-Addin (on OS X, Word:Mac 2011), I get the following output:

...authors..., Comput. Recht 2009, 62

where it should be

...authors..., CR 2009, 62

What I think this does is, instead of using journalAbbrevation/container-title-short, to abbreviate the publicationTitle (whre Computer becomes Comput.). This happens to other entries in Zotero in similar fashion.

The Addin does not do this all the time, but sometimes. I tried changing in the CSL as follows:

text variable="container-title-short"

to

text variable="container-title" form="short"

and vice versa, to no avail.

In the Zotero Reference Test (chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul) the CSL looks just fine all the time.

Any ideas?

Thank you
  • The behavior is toggled in the "Set Document Preferences" under "Automatically Abbreviate Journal Titles".
  • Ah. okay, thank you!
  • Toggling the behaviour in the document preferences does work, for me, only in MS Word. When I use LibreOffice 5.1 together with Zotero 4.0.29 and the Zotero LibreOffice Integration addon 3.5.12, deactivating the automatic abbreviation of journal titles results in the rendering of long container titles. The container-title-short values are ignored, regardless of which of the two documented ways of configuration I use (text variable="container-title-short" or text variable="container-title" form="short").This seems to be bug. Check it out using the Nature style https://www.zotero.org/styles/nature
  • I'm not sure what the correct behaviour there would be. Should disabling automatic abbreviations also disable journalAbbr, or should journalAbbr always be recognized?

(I assume that the latter would be correct, but I'd like to check with everyone before testing and possibly touching the processor code.)
  • The latter is correct. When automatic abbreviations is activated, journal titles are always abbreviated according to MEDLINE abbreviation conventions. This is done even if you have defined a short title that differs from MEDLINE. So deactivating automatic abbreviation should make Zotero respect the data in Zotero's field JournalAbbr.
  • Yes, the latter is how this is intended to work.