opus numbers in music scores Chicago full not CMOS

Hello,
I am writing about music scores, e.g. Sonata, op. 18

Zotero preview results in Op. 18
chrome://zotero/content/tools/cslpreview.xul
Pierre d’Alvimare, Three Grand Sonatas for the Harp, Op. 18 (London: Birchall, n.d.).

However CMOS requires that opus is not capitalized:

these are the guidelines from CMOS online:
8.191Opus numbers

The abbreviation op. (opus; plural opp. or opera) is set in roman and usually lowercased. An abbreviation designating a catalog of a particular composer’s works is always capitalized (e.g., BWV [Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis]; D. [Deutsch] for Schubert; K. [Köchel] for Mozart; WoO [Werke ohne Opuszahl], assigned by scholars to certain unnumbered works). When op. or a catalog number is used restrictively (see 6.26), no comma precedes it.

Sonata in E-flat, op. 31, no. 3; Sonata op. 31
Fantasy in C Minor, K. 475; Fantasy K. 475

thank you
  • We're working on better support for music scores in the medium run.
    A couple of ideas:
    As a workaround, you can enclose "op." in <span class="nocase"> </span>. That should prevent capitalization (at least it does in Zotero -- please always mention if you're using non-Zotero compenent. I happen to remember pandoc from your other thread, but can get confusing otherwise).

You could also put op. 31 in the edition field. Ugly but should work (at least for the regular case -- wouldn't work for "Sonata op. 31".

@fbennett, Rintze: thoughts on adding "op." to the exception list in the processor?
  • (there is an exception list?)
  • sure: it has English prepositions and articles on it.
  • https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0810874326 says the majority of style guides reviewed use lowercase "op.". I can't think of any other occurrences in English for "op." other than "opus", so I'm fine with adding this as an exception.

There are exceptions, though, e.g.

SIUC School of Music Guide to Some Music-Specific Issues in Writing
    http://cola.siu.edu/music/_common/documents/writingonmusic.pdf
    'Capitalize "Op." "No." or "K".'
  • edited April 6, 2016
    thanks for these answers. I have tried to put the op. 18 into the edition field, but then when the same musical score is cited in CMOS for a second time, the opus number doesnt appear. I'd like it to appear as part of the short title.

Will op. be included then as an exception in Zotero? and when?
    thanks
  • edited April 7, 2016
    I can't think of any other occurrences in English for "op." other than "opus", so I'm fine with adding this as an exception.

But there is, e.g., "Op. Ed." – so I’m not sure "op." should be added to the exception list in the processor.

The only "clean" solution, I feel, is leaving "op." in the title/short title fields, and protecting "op." using <span class="nocase">op.</span> – which, BTW, is supported by pandoc, too.

What’s more, I feel it is not ideal describing <span class="nocase"> </span> as a "workaround" – whenever there is case conversion, there will be some ambiguous cases where protecting parts of a title is unavoidable. Indeed, <span class="nocase"> </span> should become part of the official CSL specs.

• Good point about Op. eds. So no to the exception list.
    As long as the no case tag is neither sanctioned by Zotero nor in the CSL specs, I think "workaround" is the right term. I do agree this is needed, but I can't just decree something a permanent solution because I think it should be.
  • If/when a nocase tag is added to the CSL spec, I think a cleaner syntax would be beneficial.
  • edited April 8, 2016
    I agree, but if this is only solution right now, I'll use it.
    thank you.
  • I'm back again, because I can't get either options to work:
    I have inserted this in the title field in Zotero:
    École ou Méthode raisonnée <span class="nocase">op. 91</span>

When I drag into a doc file: the result is that the "op. 91" is still in italics.

2. i have also tried putting the "op. 92" in the edition field and this works when I drag to a doc file, but in Pandoc (I realise this is not the Pandoc forum), the citation comes out correctly the first time, but further citations, second onwards, the "op. 91" comes out in italics.

Any suggestions ?
    Thanks, Maria

I am using Zotero 4.0.29.8 .
    For Pandoc, I export using Better BibLaTex.
  • 1. Is expected. You asked how you could avoid opus from uppercasing, this is how.

2. I don't see why edition would ever be rendered in italics in Chicago
    Manual of Styles. That seems like a pandoc bug to me. Report there with a minimal working example.
  • edited May 1, 2016
    Thank you Adam,
    indeed you are right, that I asked about capitalisation. However when the title of a work is italicised in CMOS, the opus number is not. It should be in roman. (See CMOS guidelines at beginning of discussion.) How may I express that in the title field in Zotero?

2. was my error. Pandoc uses the short title for second and onwards citations. My short title still had the opus number in it. Sorry.

My question is then how can I express "op. 91" in the title field as not capitalised and not in italics, all in CMOS.
    thank you
  • Add italics tags, as well as span tags, to prevent "op. 91" from being italicized:

<i><span class="nocase">op. 91</span></i>
  • Or a more general solution that avoids having “op. 91” italicised when switching to styles that do not italicise titles:<span class="nodecor"><span class="nocase">op. 91</span></span>(nodecor is supported by both citeproc-js and pandoc-citeproc.)
  • What is the LaTeX equivalent for "nodecor"? Still just "{op. 91}"?