not working: getting "Invalid response from server"

Hello,

I am using Sync Preview ver1.5-sync2.2. Since last night, I am not able to sync. The sync icon (the green circular arrow) reports that it got Invalid response from server.

The debug output when I attempt a sync is:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
zotero(3): Storage sync is not active

zotero(3): Session ID not available -- logging in

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=2&username=hs&password=******** to https://sync.zotero.org/login

zotero(3):

zotero(1): Invalid response from server

zotero(3): Loading all collections

zotero(5): SELECT C.*, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM collections WHERE parentCollectionID=C.collectionID)!=0 AS hasChildCollections, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM collectionItems WHERE collectionID=C.collectionID)!=0 AS hasChildItems FROM collections C

zotero(5): SELECT itemID FROM collectionItems WHERE collectionID=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 1

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 2

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 3

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 4

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 5

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 6

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 7

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 8

zotero(3): Unloading all creators

zotero(3): Loading all items
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I missing something? Or is something the matter with the server at Zotero?

Thanks.
  • er ... no one's replied to this. Am I missing something very obvious that no reply is deemed? :(

Or is there something totally wrong with zotero? (hopefully not :) )
  • Please try 1.5 SP3, now available, and let us know if you're still having this problem.
  • Hi Stillman,

Thanks for the pointer. I will give this a shot later today.

Regards.
  • Hi Stillman,

I started Firefox and it updated Zotero addon to version 1.5-sync3.1. However, the problem is still there. I get "invalid response" from server. Here are the messages from the standard out:
    zotero(3): Storage sync is not enabled

zotero(3): Session ID not available -- logging in

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=2&username=hs&password=******** to https://sync.zotero.org/login

zotero(3):

zotero(1): Invalid response from server

zotero(3): Reloading all tags

zotero(5): SELECT tagID AS id, key FROM tags

zotero(5): SELECT * FROM tags WHERE 1

zotero(3): Reloading all collections

zotero(5): SELECT collectionID AS id, key FROM collections

zotero(5): SELECT C.*, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM collections WHERE parentCollectionID=C.collectionID)!=0 AS hasChildCollections, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM collectionItems WHERE collectionID=C.collectionID)!=0 AS hasChildItems FROM collections C WHERE 1

• Hello Dan,

I was wondering, do I need to install the new version of Zotero from scratch to make the syncing work?

I am kind of surprised that no one else appears (to me at least) to have this problem.
  • do I need to install the new version of Zotero from scratch to make the syncing work?
    No, you don't.

What happens if you load https://sync.zotero.org/login directly in the browser? Do you get an XML page with an "API version not specified" error message?
  • "What happens if you load https://sync.zotero.org/login directly in the browser? Do you get an XML page with an "API version not specified" error message? "

Yes, I do. Here is the text it shows me:
    "<response version="" timestamp="1225343272">
    <error type="malformed" code="NO_API_VERSION">API version not specified</error>
    </response>"

PS: How do you get the dotted box around the quote?
  • PS: How do you get the dotted box around the quote?
    By using blockquote-tags, e.g. "<blockquote>some text</blockquote>".
  • Rintze: thanks.

Okay, so anybody see where the problem is with this "Last error: invalid response from server" message?

Regards.
  • er ... this might be a dumb question. Must I have a webdav account some place for sync preview to work?

I don't have a webdav account at present. The very first time I tried sync preview a few months ago, it worked without my having a webdav account. So I never looked at this aspect since then. Until now i.e., when I am having those invalid response problems.
  • No, you don't need WebDAV to use regular syncing, only file syncing.

Grab a copy of LiveHTTPHeaders, open it, clear the output, attempt a sync, and then send the output to support@zot....org (clearing any authentication info).
  • Okay, will do.

Meanwhile, I have discovered I cannot even export my library. If I try to export it as Zotera RDF, I get the javascript error window: An error occurred while trying to export the selected file.

The standard output have this error near the last few lines:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zotero(4): Translate: processing tags

zotero(4): Translate: processing tags

zotero(2): Translate: Translation using Zotero RDF failed:
    thrown exception => Zotero.Translate.RDF.addStatement: Could not convert to literal
    url => /home/hs/tmp/My Library.rdf
    downloadAssociatedFiles => false
    automaticSnapshots => true

zotero(5): Translate: running handler 0 for done
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this give any further clues about the problem, or does this appear to be an unrelated one?

Thanks.
  • No, that's an unrelated problem, already fixed on the trunk. 3.2 will be out shortly with the fix.
  • Grab a copy of LiveHTTPHeaders, open it, clear the output, attempt a sync, and then send the output to support@zot....org
    Sent.

Thanks.
  • After some debugging, the problem here appears to have been the XSS prevention feature in v1.6.9.3 of NoScript, which is a very old version.. I have no problems syncing with the latest version of NoScript.
  • I have just now upgraded my noscript package to version 1.8.2.1. As an aside, the package mozilla-noscript in Debian Testing is frozen at 1.6.9.3 till Lenny is released. To get the new version from unstable, I used a repository for unstable and pulled the new version from there.

Now Zotero sync is working fine.

And huge thanks to Dan for his patience and help in getting to the bottom of this problem. His help is much appreciated!

BTW, Zotero developers, you rock! Zotero is one of the best bibliography managers/citation tools I have ever used. I am so happy to see the users' feedback is used to continually improve it. Hats off to you guys.

Regards.
  • Just got the update to 1.5Sync3.2.

Just wanted to report that syncing is working properly (with NoScript 1.8.2.1) on Debian Testing.

Also, I can successfully export the zotero database to an RDF file now (I couldn't in the earlier Zotero Sync version).

Thanks, Zotero developers!
  • I'm using 1.5 Sync 3.8 and Firefox 3.06 (Mac) and I'm suddenly getting an Invalid Response from Server." I've tried resetting the library using Restore to Server AND Restore from Server. Restoring to the Server produces another "Invalid Response from Server" note. Restting from the Server works, but it erases all my local data. When I import from a backup and try to Sync, I get another "Invalid Response from Server."

The report ID is 1810803656
  • Hi

I am having a problem syncing with 1.5 3.8 as well on a mac 10.4.11.

I get an error message when I hover above the sync symbol (I cannot find how to get the error message in another way of find a log). It says something like: "Exception ...component returned failure code..."

Following the conversation above I tried logging into https://sync.zotero.org/login out of interest and found I couldn't log into that either. I get the following error:

<response version="" timestamp="1235360603">
    <error type="malformed" code="NO_API_VERSION">API version not specified</error>
    </response>

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

nathan
  • This also describes the problem I've been having, about which I've made numerous posts in the last couple of weeks. Here's the latest error report: 1167741012. It's always the same error, though.

I wish I was the guy who got my problem solved in 24 hours! I really enjoy Zotero, however--thanks for your work, even if my problem is low on your list.
  • My problem is similar. Mac OX10.5 PPc, Firefox 3.06, Zotero 1.5b1. I get the "invalid response from server" message when trying to sync or reset. I received a similar error message at https://sync.zoter.org/login:

API version not specified

Sounds like this is not an isolated problem.

Also can't access my webDAV server; I get the -15 error message, though that may be a different issue.
  • This error is still occurring with 1.5 beta.

However the fact that we cannot load the sync.zotero.org page suggests that the problem might have something to do with firefox on the mac and the zotero server. It make no difference whether I have nosync installed or not.

Are any of the zotero developers able to help?
  • I think sirrahn might be on the right track about it having to do with the Mac: I tried the same address on Safari (that is, https://sync.zotero.org/login), and got a similar error message (API not specified); just for the sake of it, I tried it on Opera, too, and got the same result. And I get it on both a PPC Mac and an Intel Mac, both OSX10.5. Maybe there's some OSX10.5 quirk?
  • https://sync.zotero.org/login is strictly for the Zotero API. The message you're seeing there is not an error.
  • I'm having the problem on a Linux computer, so it's not just Mac. I've been having this problem through the last three updates of Zotero Sync, however. It was working on my Mac till now (haven't checked it since the last update).
  • Having the same problem on Windows, so it's not just Mac....
  • I'm having the exact same problem on Vista: "invalid response from server"
  • Me too on Ubuntu and Windows for the last fortnight. I'll gather debug data later and send to support.
  • I should say for clarity's sake: I'm using the most up-to-date versions of Firefox and NoScript, as well as the just-released Zotero sync Beta. I experienced this problem with the previous update too.
  • It's still not working for me. I've tried again, and here's the Error ID: 1128839089
This discussion has been closed.