LibreOffice 5.1 - Java Runtime issues on Mac

There are issues with LibreOffice 5.1 on Mac OS (El Cap) and Java (JRE). The out-of-the-box installations of JRE are not being recognized by Libre and therefore Zotero's Office plugin doesn't work. Legacy install of JRE, repeated install of latest JRE and reinstall of Libre have been no help, as has been the attempt to manually install Zotero's Office plugin.
My workaround: Revert to LibreOffice Still 5.0.5.2 and all is well.

Possible second workaround (untested on my part) and an explanation of the bug can be found here.
  • thanks!
    For others coming here who don't want to read along on the bug tracker: this is not a Zotero issue. One can argue whose problem it is -- Orcale, Apple, LibreOffice --, but Zotero can't do anything about it.

If you have any success with various troubleshooting steps, I'm sure other users would be delighted to hear from you.
  • edited March 25, 2016
    Follow-up from the above issue. It only affects folks on Mac trying to use LibreOffice 5.1 with Zotero:
    LibreOffice 5.1.1.3 / Mac is now working fine with Zotero. The following additional steps are needed:
    - Download and install Java Development Kit (JDK) v. 8 – this is different from the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) previously necessary. Link: JDK
    - In LibreOffice: Check in > Prefs >Advanced if Java 1.8.0_77 is actually selected in the box
    - Go to LibreOffice Tools> Extension Manager, scroll down to "Zotero LibreOffice integration" and select this; you should see an "enable" button appear.
    For some reason the default appears set to "disabled", rendering Zotero's buttons in LO ineffective, even if you've got a working JDK installed.
  • If you feel up to it, I'd love this in the troubleshooting:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting
    Not having done this myself, I don't feel terribly comfortable writing it up.
  • perfect -- tightened the language up a bit, but all the technical stuff is exactly as you had it.