Many broken translators, bc of Firefox 3.06?

This morning many translators weren't working. For most, including Google Scholar, Wiley, JSTOR, ScienceDirect, the icon no longer appeared in the bar. For one (sorry can't remember which) the icon appeared but didn't work.

I believe that when I started up my computer this morning, Firefox 3.06 installed itself. Not absolutely sure because I wasn't paying close attention. My best guess is that this is connected to the translator problem

Thanks!

Isis
  • I just grabbed a JSTOR article with no problem. You might consider the troubleshooting steps. If you're having across the board problems, chances are it's an error with your settings.
  • Hi

I tried all the troubleshooting steps with no luck (turned add-ons off, etc). I also tried installing for the first time Firefox and Zotero on a new computer- same problem. I'm still using XP-could that be it? any other info I can give up that would be helpful?

thanks!

Isis
  • Are you behind some sort of proxy or other type of URL mangling device. Try grabbing a book from Amazon, and if that fails, post the URL in this thread.
  • Suddenly everything is working again. No clue why.?????? Yes a proxy was involved, may be a glitch there was fixed?
    Thanks

Isis
  • And now the translators aren;t working again. Tried all the troubleshooting stuff; extensions off, corrupt translators. Problem is for public sites like Amazon as well as gated ones. No Skype

Will post in Firefox also, but would really appreciate any ideas-my work is now at standstill! Even a temporary fix. Would uninstalling extensions work beter than just disabling? Any way to back up to Firefox 3.05? can;t find it

Desperately

Isis
  • If you're not getting an icon on Amazon and have disabled all other extensions, please provide debug output for an Amazon product page load.
  • When I start up Firefox I get the following error:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMXULDocument.loadOverlay]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml :: showPane :: line 689" data: no]

When I go to any page at all including amazon I get a very long list of banal warnings about stuff like font size .

No obvious error for amazon

Can't figure out how to send you screen shot; can I email it to you?

Many thanks
  • We need debug output for the page load, not error messages. You can send it to support@zot....org, referencing this thread.
  • edited February 13, 2009
    Sorry- am trying to follow instructions but not sure I am doing it right,

Here is the output from the "run" screen; will also send you screen shots by email from the error console; not sure which is debug console (took out my name for privacy reasons, marked with ****)

[extra output removed - DS]

zotero(4): Translate: Binding sandbox to http://www.amazon.com/

zotero(3): Translate: Searching for translators for http://www.amazon.com/

zotero(5): SELECT detectCode FROM translators WHERE translatorID = ?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "96b9f483-c44d-5784-cdad-ce21b984
    fe01"

zotero(4): Translate: Executed detectCode for Amazon.com

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "e7e01cac-1e37-4da6-b078-a0e8343b
    0e98"

zotero(4): Translate: Executed detectCode for unAPI

zotero(4): Translate: Executed detectCode for COinS

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "951c027d-74ac-47d4-a107-9c3069ab
    7b48"

zotero(4): Translate: Executed detectCode for Embedded RDF

zotero(5): Translate: running handler 0 for translators
  • Also noticed something odd- I could swear that some of my extensions aren't showing up in the menu under add-ons or extensions. Isn't the Google Toolbar an extension? Think there might be others too

Many thanks
  • You appear to be loading the front page of Amazon, which won't show a translator (nor will the front page of most sites). Please try a product page.
  • D'oh. Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Amazon works, but still have intermittent problems with translators on the gated sites. Will post the debug output when I get a problem.

Thanks, and sorry again

Isis
  • We generally don't need debug output—just URLs.