Style Request Kunstgeschichte / Kunstwissenschaft (German)

Hi.

I have tried several styles but none of them is even similar to the citation standards that are common in art historical papers and publications, although I have seen many simlar styles in books.
Important: This is not the citation style of one specific journal or publisher.

Examples:

Campbell, Pedersen 2007

Campbell, Pedersen 2007
Campbell, John L.; Pedersen, Ove K.: The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success, in: Comparative Political Studies, 40 (2007), 3, S. 307–332, doi:10.1177/0010414006286542 (abgerufen am 1.1.2016).

Mares 2001

Mares 2001
Mares, Isabela: Firms and the welfare state. When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? in: Hall, Peter Arthur; Soskice, Diane (Hrsg.): Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, New York 2001, S. 184–213.

Links to freely available online papers:

http://www.kunstgeschichte-ejournal.net/413/1/3_Fischer_Kennerschaft_beiHieronymus_Bosch_KF_fertig.pdf

http://www.kunstgeschichte-ejournal.net/419/1/Kopie_und_Kennerschaft_-_%C3%9Cber_eine_k%C3%BCnstlerische_Praxis_und_ihre_Bedeutung_f%C3%BCr_die_Erforschung_der_fl%C3%A4mischen_Buchmalerei_Endfassung_LQ.pdf

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/buettner2000

online style documentation:

http://www.kunstgeschichte-ejournal.net/deposit/guidelines.html

Important: exhibition catalogues are abbreviated as follows:

*Place of the exhibition* *year*
e.g.: London 2010

Thank you in advance

Anna
  • I'm not sure how close a match you need and what features are crucial, but styles like
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Infoclio%20%28German%20-%20Switzerland%29

or
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Geistes-%20und%20Kulturwissenschaften%20%28Heilmann%29%20%28German%29

are broadly similar. Beyond that, see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    for editing styles
  • @ adamsmith:

I have tried both styles you suggested. They are a bit similar, but not very. The abbreviations do not match - I need the same abbreviations as in CMOS or ISO 690 (preferably ISO 690), they are way too long, especially for edited books (except for exhibition cataolgues).

abbreviations/short tiltes should look like this:

*author(s)* or *editor(s)* or *place* (with exhibition/museum catalogues) + *year*

I have tried editing zotero citation styles but I am afraid that this task is way too difficult for me.

Anyway thanks for the anawer.
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean by abbreviations -- you mean subsequent citations? Those are, in fact, basically the same as in Chicago (i.e. author last names & titles), but yes, just author/year is pretty rare for that (for good reasons, imo: what help is the year in remembering a citation you've seen once before, let alone knowing what it's about; if you want to minimize citation word counts, why not just do the author & disambiguate as needes, as e.g MHRA does).

Maybe @zuphilip is more motivated to take this, he's particularly interested in German styles. For me this is very low priority, to be honest.
  • Thanks for the answer.

Well acually infoclio is useful for generating bibliographies, which is the bigger part of the work. Inserting the citations "manually" is not a big deal.

I have not invented the art historical citation standards, I whish they were more similar to ISO 690 or CMOS, but I and many other colleagues must nevertheless respect them. I mean I cannot change them, unfortunately, since I am not the editor of a journal or so.

But I think there is neither an English art history citation style for zotero. The English style is quite similar to the German: ed. or eds. instead of Hrsg. and p. or nothing instead of S. (abbreviation page numbers)
    I would not mind an English art history citation style for zotero at all. Maybe it is easier to create the English style first and then modify it? Are there any English styles that are similar to "Infoclio" or "Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften"? (i. e. year at the end and the publisher's name is not mentioned, only the city)

BTW: I guess I mean subsequent citations by abbreaviations or short titles, but the thing is that in art historical publications you do not mention the title of a cited publication at all in the text, only in the bibliography. But it is the same with ISO 690 and CMOS.
  • <1> Okay, I am looking into this now. However, the style guide for the journal "Kunstgeschichte" is different from your description and examples in the beginning: they are actually suggesting not to use a bibliography at all, authors schema is "first-name last-name", different authors are seperated by "/" etc., see:
    Bitte geben Sie Quellen bzw. Sekundärliteratur bei der erstmaligen Nennung in den Endnoten vollständig, und zwar nach dem untenstehenden Muster, an. Eine gesonderte Bibliographie am Ende des Beitrags ist nicht vorgesehen. Bei weiteren Nennungen genügt dann folgende Kurzfassung:
    Name+Erscheinungsjahr (wie Anm. x), S. x.

Angabe von Aufsätzen in Sammelbänden und Katalogen:
    Wieland Schmied: »Pictor classicus sum?« De Chirico, pittura metafisica und Klassizismus, in: Canto d'amore: klassizistische Moderne in Musik und bildender Kunst, hg. v. Gottfried Boehm, Bern/München 1996, S. 100-116.
    <2> I would start with the style for Kritische Ausgabe which implements already the backward references and also looks otherwise not so different.

<3> @adamsmith: How are exhibition catalogues treated in Zotero? I would just enter them as normal books and maybe ajdust the title a little. Anything else one should do?
    Important: exhibition catalogues are abbreviated as follows: *Place of the exhibition* *year* e.g.: London 2010
    Well, actually the last example in the style guide illustrate that the catalogues are treated as normal books. Anyway, I am not sure if we _can_ technically treat catalogues differently...
  • Thank you, Philip.

Ok, that is my mistake. The Journal actually does not want bibliographies, but please make the style for Zotero with bibliography.

Please treat exhibition or museum catalogues as edited books (editors + year), if "city + year" is not possible.

I have also tried the Kritische Ausgabe. I guess its a good start but Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften or Infoclio are not bad either.
  • edited January 3, 2016
    Anyway: my point is that the citations should be like CMOS or ISO 690, except for the fact that they should be footnotes and without brackets, but the bibliography should look like Infoclio or Kritische Ausgabe (preferably Infoclio.
    The trouble is that it is hard to find guidelines in the internet since there are not many online journals, the kunstgeschichteejournal is maybe not the ideal example but the only thing I know.
    The book by Nils Büttner does not contain guidelines but it is a better example to start with, so have a good look at that.
  • Please note that the citation style for the journal and for the book is completely different. Also CMOS and ISO 690 are completely different styles. The journal is using a full footnote style without bibliography and the book uses endnotes with something like author-date information and a bibliography with the full information.

The book style would be problematic because currently (I guess) it would not even be accepted in the repo: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Criteria-for-Accepting-Styles

Moreover, I don't understand the book style really; because besides from normal author-date it uses also e.g.
    15 Georges, Bd. 2, Sp. 2045f u. 2279f.
    18 Vgl. Anm. 23, S. 194.
    However, I can try to find some time to do the style for the journal. By default we include a bibliography, even when the style don't ask for one. From there it might be easy for you to create your own preferred style by changing the inline citation slightly.
  • edited January 3, 2016
    "Sp." means "Spalte" (some older publications do not have pages but columns), and "Georges" is the author's name, I guess the publication has got no year.

"Vgl. Anm. 23" means "vergleiche Anmerkung 23" (compare/see note 23) - just ignore this, this should be a normal author-date-citation, it is a mistake

It would be nice if you could do the style for the journal eventually.
    How do I change the inline citation?

Well. I hope you understand what I mean. I guess it should be some kind of an author-date-style.

I think this link should be useful, too:
    http://www.riha-journal.org/about/for-authors/style-guide

I hope you can see what all these styles have in common, I think they are quite similar. The differences do not really matter (e. g. whether there is a a dot, a comma or a slash, or if cagalogues are abbreviated with city + year or editors + year)

Anyway thank you in advance.
  • (@zuphilip: on Sp./col. see https://github.com/avram/zotero-bits/issues/62 )
  • I have now implemented a new style for the journal "Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte": https://www.zotero.org/styles/?q=kunstgeschichte

That journal exists much longer then all the others you mentioned and the citation style seems also to be better documented.

I think that most of the others could be derived quite easily from here. @blitzgneisserin: However, it seems that you choose another way now to continue.

@adamsmith: Okay, but here it was a different case (Sp. as well as Bd. are part of the locator), because the full reference is:
    Karl Ernst Georges, Ausführliches lateinisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch. Nachdruck der achten verbesserten und vermehrten Ausgabe von Heinrich Georges, 2 Bde., Hannover 195910.
    I guess the missing year might just be an error in endnote (as well as the forward reference from note 18 to note 23 might just be an error in the book.)
  • Thank you, Philipp, the style that you created looks almost perfect (I think the "S." is missing before the page number).

Well, I guess I kind of got unpatient :), so I created a style myself. But I learned something by creating it...

There is one thing though: maybe we should rename the style because there is another "Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte" which is the actual Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte:
    http://www.deutscherkunstverlag.de/buch/zeitschriften/zeitschrift-fuer-kunstgeschichte/
    This is a different journal. It is not the same as the ejournal Kunstgeschichte.

BTW: my new style which is derived from Infoclio is almost perfect now, I am just struggling with one or two more things, so you might want to have a look at the new discussion.
  • No, you misunderstood me. The new style _is_ according to the rules for the journal "Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte" organised by the Uni Bielefeld and published by the Deutscher Kunstverlag.

This citation style don't use any labels for the locator (such as "S.") which is different from citation style for the "Kunstgeschichte" journal. Moreover, it uses italics and I guess some other (small) differences.
  • OK, never mind, that is even better, thanks. Now there is a proper style for art historians. Bravo!
  • I see that you have created a multilingual style, that is really great.

However, I also see this in the code:

"the information for exhibition catalogues should be entered in the field collection-title; locators may use the word "here" or "hier" in front of the page refering to which must be entered individually (the style outputs the locator as it is entered w/o any label or additional text)."

What is "collection-title" in German? I do not find this field in my German Zotero. Maybe "Archiv"?
  • What is "collection-title" in German? I do not find this field in my German Zotero. Maybe "Archiv"?
    It is "Reihentitel" or in Zotero just "Reihe".
  • edited January 18, 2016
  • edited January 10, 2016
    There is a mistake:

If the entry-type is book-chapter, zotero does this:

Stephan Kemperdick, I tableau à II hysseoires - ein Bild mit zwei Flügeln: wandelbare und nicht wandelbare Bildensembles in der Zeit Rogier van der Weydens, in: Stephan Kemperdick und Jochen Sander (Hrsg.) Der Meister von Flémalle und Rogier van der Weyden, Ostfildern 2008, 1–10.

Instead of:

Stephan Kemperdick, I tableau à II hysseoires - ein Bild mit zwei Flügeln: wandelbare und nicht wandelbare Bildensembles in der Zeit Rogier van der Weydens, in: Der Meister von Flémalle und Rogier van der Weyden, hg. von Stephan Kemperdick, Jochen Sander, Ostfildern 2008, 1–10.

(I really feel so bad for criticizing but to err is human :) )
  • Are you speaking about the "Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte" style in the repo? I have seen both ways in the examples (which I could access via DigiZeitschriften). Moreover, the stylesheet are for editor first and then book title, e.g.:
    Werner Busch, Das Ende der klassischen Bilderzählung, in: Michael Fehr und Stefan Grohé (Hg.), Geschichte, Bild, Museum. Zur Darstellung von Geschichte im Museum (Museum der Museen, Bd. 1), Köln 1989, 127–166.
    (However, a comma seems missing in the style.)
  • Yes, the style for the ZfK in the repo.

But the second part of the entry should look the same as the entry for edited books.

Currently, the bibliography looks like this:

Stephan Kemperdick, I tableau à II hysseoires - ein Bild mit zwei Flügeln: wandelbare und nicht wandelbare Bildensembles in der Zeit Rogier van der Weydens, in: Stephan Kemperdick und Jochen Sander (Hrsg.) Der Meister von Flémalle und Rogier van der Weyden, Ostfildern 2008, 1–10.

Der Meister von Flémalle und Rogier van der Weyden, hg. von Stephan Kemperdick, Jochen Sander, Ostfildern 2008.

I mean you are right, the mistake is not there where I thought.

I will/would probably do the correction myself eventually if none else does it, but I think it is not easy.
  • I agree it seems special to switch the order in edited books and chapters, but this is exactly what the stylesheet wants. This examples are given in the stylesheet:
    Werner Busch, Das Ende der klassischen Bilderzählung, in: Michael Fehr und Stefan Grohé (Hg.), Geschichte, Bild, Museum. Zur Darstellung von Geschichte im Museum (Museum der Museen, Bd. 1), Köln 1989, 127–166.

Glaube und Macht. Sachsen im Europa der Reformationszeit (Ausst.-Kat. Torgau, Schloss Hartenfels), hg. von Harald Marx und Eckhard Kluth, Dresden 2004.
  • Ok.
    However, the "Hrsg." is wrong and a comma is missing, right?

Maybe someone should contact the editors and ask them how they want it because this is obviously a mistake in the stylesheet?
  • Well. The first example is - on the contrary to the second - not an exhibition catalogue. But something appears to be wrong here, either with the stylesheet or with the code (probably with the stylesheet).
  • However, the "Hrsg." is wrong and a comma is missing, right?
    Yes, you are right.

I will write an email to the Redaktion and ask for clarification about the order or editors and book title.
  • Okay, I received an answer from the journal editor:
    Die Herausgeber werden im Falle von Editionen, Lexika und Ausstellungskatalogen dem Titel nachgestellt. Bei gewöhnlichen Sammelbänden werden die Herausgeber dem Titel vorangestellt.
    That seems pretty hard to implement in CSL. I will try to find some solution how this can be distinguished in CSL/Zotero.
  • book/entry-encylopedia vs. chapter, or am I missing something?
  • Yes, that is also what I suggest for implementation. However, it stretches maybe the term entry-encyclopedia a little if we use it for an encyclopedia itself as well.
  • edited January 13, 2016
    It is not necessary that you bother with this but I am happy if you see it as an intellectual challenge :)

I am still wondering a little though why you chose the "Zeitschrift" für Kunstgeschichte". It was actually a good choice because it is one of the most respected art historical journals.
    Unfortunately there is no style guide or stylesheet for the "Kunstchronik" on the internet.
  • Ich glaub da hat sich wieder ein kleiner Fehler eingeschlichen - zwischen Titel und Herausgebern fehlt ein Beistrich:

Stephan Kemperdick, I tableau à II hysseoires - ein Bild mit zwei Flügeln: wandelbare und nicht wandelbare Bildensembles in der Zeit Rogier van der Weydens, in: Der Meister von Flémalle und Rogier van der Weyden hg. von Stephan Kemperdick, Jochen Sander, Ostfildern 2008, 1–10.

Ich find die Stelle im Code nicht.
  • Danke für den Hinweis. Das fehlende Komma habe ich hinzugefügt.