Query Limit reached?

1235»
  • I'm having the same problem as jbaart (and others): solving a captcha doesn't do anything. I just get a 2nd and 3rd captcha and then it says 'query limit reached' without finding any metadata for any files.
  • ropeladder: Can you provide a Debug ID for a retrieval attempt that fails, including solving captchas?
  • Here it is:
    D1393878008

Note: I ran the Metadata Retrieval twice since my IP was initially unblocked. The second batch gave the query limit error.

Thanks for looking into this!
  • Are you using Zotero Standalone or Zotero in Firefox? Does the captcha ever work? (e.g. you can enter the captcha successfully five times, but when it asks the 6th time, the captcha is not accepted)
  • I'm using Zotero Standalone on Windows 7 (v4.0.25.2). I don't remember the captcha ever working.
  • Can you try using Zotero in Firefox and see if that works better?
  • edited February 10, 2015
    Thanks, Dan. That would do it. Pretty sure this would be fixed by https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/409
  • In case it's still relevant, I checked it out using Zotero for FF and got a slightly different result. Like before, my captchas get denied three times and then my queries get rejected. But not all of them: after 10 or so, several files went through. This happened twice in a row just now, the second of which I logged:

D830399416

(could also be Zotero getting the info from elsewhere? not sure how that works exactly)
  • I'm using Zotero for Mac. I encountered this "query limit reached" problem for the first time yesterday, and since then the problem has caused a major reduction in the value of this software. Three captchas and failure, every time. Has any solution emerged that is easy to implement? Perhaps communication with Google to get Zotero's servers on some authorized "not a bot" list could work? I know you've probably considered this and many other options, just have to check if anything at all can be done to restore the great experience I had with Zotero until yesterday.

Thanks for your time.
  • Could you provide a Debug ID covering a "query limit reached" error? https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • I cannot find "Zotero Connector preferences" in Step 1 if the instructions you provide. Can you please clarify? Thanks.
  • edited May 26, 2015
    Those are the instructions for the Chrome/Safari plugins. For this we need debug output from Zotero Standalone itself, covering the operation in question. Instructions for that are given in the previous section on that page.
  • Those are the instructions for the Chrome/Safari plugins. For this we need debug output from Zotero Standalone itself, covering the operation in question. Instructions for that are given in the previous section on that page.

This thread is fascinating! I'm not a programmer, but if you direct me to the debug output file for Zotero Standalone, I can reproduce the issue and send you the log.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output (I'm fairly sure we're aware of the current issue with Google Scholar and we don't have a solution yet. You're still welcome to submit a Debug ID if you wish)
  • Only if Dan is still awaiting a debug output for the standalone version. Not trying to butt in, just offering to provide it if it's helpful. :-)
  • I'm not trying to dissuade you. You may actually be experiencing a different issue. However, Google Scholar did recently implement a new CAPTCHA mechanism, which we are not able to present to the Zotero users currently, so in all likelihood this is the reason you're not able to proceed.
  • Okay: The Debug ID is D1379199242.
  • edited July 28, 2015
    You're using Zotero 4.0.17, which is a year and a half old. Upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org.
  • Sorry--upgraded, and getting the same issue. Report #879179497.
  • Still need a Debug ID.
  • The Debug ID is D910578183.
  • Aurimas:
    (1)(+0000408): HTTP GET http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=[...]&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search failed: Unexpected status code 403

(3)(+0000001): RecognizePDF: Checking for CAPTCHA on Google Scholar error page (403)

(3)(+0000000): RecognizePDF: No CAPTCHA detected on page. Clearing cookies.

(3)(+0000000): RecognizePDF: No cookies removed
  • FYI: Last I remembered, Zotero had found a way to avoid getting this error. Or, at least going to Scholar directly and entering the Captcha would get rid of it. Today that doesn't seem to be working. Using v4.0.28.7 on Windows 7. Let me know if there's something else I need to know as a solution or if you need other info about my setup. I'm going to try switching networks and see if that helps.
  • afaik Aurimas just hasn't gotten around to account for the (relatively) new method that google applies in some cases. Can't give you an eta, for when that might happen, sorry.
  • I have a new position, and new topic, so am loading from searches, and from provided PDFs. I am finding I am hitting the Scholar limit really quickly on Standalone with 4.0.28.7. Standalone doesn't present a Captcha, if I go to scholar.google.com in chrome (using the connector) and solve the Captcha I can search again, but no lookups.
  • Note that the google scholar citation add-on that you seem to have installed would very significantly contribute to this _and_ it doesn't have any strategy for handing query limits.
  • @adamsmith, I don't have it on my work machine, I have it on my laptop and run it at home and webdav/zotero.org sync everything. I am purely looking to use the retrieve metadata from PDF function. I just got back from lunch ~1h, I looked up metadata on one PDF and it worked, I tried on a second PDF and hit the query limiter.

I know scholar-citation is a beast, it used to be a lot worse, he added a rand() and a wait() a long time ago which helped a lot. And on my home machine I am only adding one PDF generally through the connector at a time, so it is only one hit anyway, I almost never bulk run the citation counter.