Chrome freezes when downloading 50+ references from Ovid to Zotero Standalone

I did a search in PsycINFO on the Ovid interface we have at our university. From the results list, I changed the display to show 100 results per page. Then, I tried using the "Save to Zotero" extension in Chrome to save these 100 references from PsycINFO to Zotero Standalone (for Windows). The "Saving to My Library" box pops up in the lower right corner, but nothing happens. After about 1 minute, I get a Chrome pop-up that reads "Page Unresponsive" and asks me to "kill pages." If I click on "Wait," nothing happens. The browser page is frozen and another "unresponsive page" message appears. We also have MEDLINE on Ovid and I tried the same search in that database and was able to export 100 references to Zotero. Any help would be appreciated.
  • smaller imports work? If so, how long have you tried to let it run?
  • I tried with 50 and it worked (it did take a few minutes). With 100, the "unresponsive pages" box keeps popping up every minute or two, and each time I press "Wait," it pops up again and again. After 25 minutes, the 100 references were saved to Zotero. This seems like a long time for the average user. Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process?
  • probably not, no. You can try exporting into OVID's standard output for reference managers and importing that into Zotero.
  • Unfortunately, that doesn't work well either as posted here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/34449/ovid-export/

For the average user, having to do the extra steps of changing the TY field is not intuitive and is time-consuming. I'll suggest that my student save 50 at a time. Thanks for your help.
  • As I say in that thread:
    we have import from OVID's export format (Export to Endnote) working now. Any testing and/or error reports would be welcome.
    That option wasn't available when the threat opened. That should work as well as the import via URL bar.
  • Ok. One last thing, the export from PsycINFO on Ovid sends this "[References]." at the end of the Title field for most items exported. I had reported this here (towards the end): https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/51255/ovid-could-not-save-item-zotero-firefox/

The issue was quickly resolved at the time. Any chances that the same could be done here with the EndNote export from PsycINFO on Ovid? Thanks.
  • I also noticed that when you export the complete reference using the EndNote export option, the DOI field includes http://dx.doi.org/ when imported into Zotero. When I create a bibliography in APA format, "http://doi.org/" gets added to that field resulting in a bibliography entry that reads: "http://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2015.07.016" (for example). Anyway of strippping this information upon importing? Thanks.
  • OK, I'll look at that, might not be super fast, though.
    @zuphilip @aurimas -- you see any reason not to move the cleanup into the OVID Tagged import?
  • The wrongly saved doi and the additional "[References]." in the title looks pretty clear to grab exactly and replace them, i.e. IMO it does not look dangerous to do these two isses. However, I don't use OVID Tagged format at all and I have no idea where it is actually used overall.
  • I think it's only used by OVID. We currently clean those instances up in the OVID Web translator, but I figure we might as well do so in the import translator, right?
  • Sounds fine for me. However, if we have it in the import translator, then we might not need it anymore in the web translator.
  • yup, I was going to move it. thanks.
  • @plabelle -- that was easier than I thought. Update translators from the general tab of the Zotero preferences and this should work now.
  • Awesome! Just tested and it works! Unbelievable. Thanks so much!

If I may, would it be possible to review how document types other than articles are imported using this option? For example, from my results list in PsycINFO, I have books, dissertations and articles. The articles are exported flawlessly, but books, book chapters and dissertations are imported differently. Dissertations are brought in as articles and book chapters at books (with a lot of missing information).

This isn't crucial considering that most are probably working with articles when exporting from this database, but if it's possible to fix, that would be great.
  • If you could open the exported file, find some entries corresponding to those item types and either post them here (if they're short) or to gist.github.com and create a secret gist and link to it here (if they're long) we can take a look.
  • Book chapter example:

<1. >
    VN - Ovid Technologies
    DB - PsycINFO
    AN - Book: 2011-27892-001.
    TI - Understanding and tackling procrastination. [References].

DP - 2012
    YR - 2012
    LG - English
    AU - Neenan, Michael
    IN - Neenan, Michael: Centre for Coaching, Blackheath, London, England
    SO - Neenan, Michael [Ed]; Palmer, Stephen [Ed]. (2012). Cognitive behavioural coaching in practice: An evidence based approach. (pp. 11-31). xvii, 254 pp. New York, NY, US: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group; US.
    IB - 978-0-415-47263-0 (Paperback), 978-0-415-47262-3 (Hardcover), 978-0-203-14440-4 (PDF)
    PU - Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group; US
    FO - Print
    PT - Book
    PT - Edited Book
    DT - Chapter
    AB - (from the chapter) Coaching aims to bring out the best in people in order to help them achieve their desired goals. When the rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT) approach is used outside of a therapy context it is more advantageous to call it rational emotive behavioural coaching (REBC), although some practitioners prefer to use the shorter name of rational coaching. Rational emotive behavior therapy terms such as 'irrational' and 'disturbance' can be reframed as performance-interfering thoughts and/or self-limiting beliefs or any permutation on problematic thinking that coachees are willing to endorse. A theoretical model for understanding and tackling psychological blocks in general and procrastination in particular is rational emotive behavioural therapy, founded in 1955 by the late Albert Ellis, an American clinical psychologist. (REBT is one of the approaches within the field of CBT.) A capsule account of the REBT approach follows. The approach proposes that rigid and extreme thinking (irrational beliefs) lies at the core of psychological disturbance. For example, faced with a coachee who is skeptical about the value of coaching, the coach makes himself very anxious and over-prepares for each session by insisting: 'I must impress her with my skills [rigid belief-why can't he let the coachee make up her own mind?], because if I don't this will prove I'm an incompetent coach' (an extreme view of his role to adopt if the coachee is unimpressed). Rigid thinking takes the form, for example, of must, should, have to and got to. Derived from these rigid beliefs are three major and extreme conclusions: awfulising (nothing could be worse and nothing good can come from negative events), low frustration tolerance (frustration and discomfort are too hard to bear) and depreciation of self and/or others (a person can be given a single global rating [e.g. useless] that defines their essence or worth). (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved).
    ID - rational emotive behavioural coaching, procrastination, irrational beliefs, rigid thinking
    MH - *Procrastination
    MH - *Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
    MH - *Coaching
    MH - Irrational Beliefs
    MH - Rigidity (Personality)
    MH - Thinking
    CC - Personality Traits & Processes [3120]; Cognitive Therapy [3311].
    PO - Human
    IA - Psychology: Professional & Research.
    UP - 20120430 (PsycINFO)
    PG - 11-31
    XL - http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=psyc9&AN=2011-27892-001
    XL - http://sfx.scholarsportal.info/ottawa?sid=OVID:psycdb&amp;id=pmid:&amp;id=doi:&amp;issn=&amp;isbn=9780415472630&amp;volume=&amp;issue=&amp;spage=11&amp;pages=11-31&amp;date=2012&amp;title=Cognitive+behavioural+coaching+in+practice:+An+evidence+based+approach.&amp;atitle=Understanding+and+tackling+procrastination.&amp;aulast=Neenan&amp;pid=<author>Neenan,+Michael</author><AN>2011-27892-001</AN><DT>Chapter</DT>
  • Dissertation example:

<53. >
    VN - Ovid Technologies
    DB - PsycINFO
    AN - Dissertation Abstract: 2014-99150-257.
    TI - Academic procrastination as mediated by executive functioning, perfectionism, and frustration intolerance in college students.
    DP - 2014
    YR - 2014
    LG - English
    AU - Sudler, Eric L
    IN - Sudler, Eric L.: St. John's U. (New York), US
    SO - Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol.75(2-A(E)),2014, pp. No Pagination Specified.
    IS - 0419-4209
    IB - 978-1-303-52924-5
    OL - Dissertation Abstracts International
    PU - ProQuest Information & Learning; US
    ON - AAI3575249
    OU - http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:dissertation&res_dat=xri:pqm&rft_dat=xri:pqdiss:3575249
    FO - Electronic
    PT - Dissertation Abstract
    DT - Dissertation
    AB - With academic procrastination prevalent at every level of education (O'Brien, 2002; Onwuegbuzie, 2008), school psychologists and other educators would benefit from a more detailed look at procrastination and what factors and characteristics mediate it. This exploratory study investigated the relative contributions of Executive Functioning, Perfectionism, and Frustration Intolerance to Academic Procrastination and investigated whether academic procrastinators can be classified into specific clusters. To achieve this, 150 undergraduate and graduate students completed an online survey assessing Executive Functioning, Perfectionism, and Frustration Intolerance. Although no distinct clusters of procrastinators formed, results indicated that Perfectionism and irrational beliefs associated with frustration intolerance were the strongest mediators for academic procrastination. These results could aid mental health professionals, therapists, and school psychologists in recognizing these traits and patterns early to develop more specific treatments, interventions, and possible prevention of academic procrastination. Keywords: academic procrastination, irrational beliefs, executive functioning, perfectionism. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2014 APA, all rights reserved).
    ID - academic procrastination, frustration intolerance, irrational beliefs, executive functioning, school psychologists, college students, detailed look, mental health professionals, academic procrastinators, relative contributions, possible prevention, graduate students, distinct clusters, exploratory study, online survey
    MH - *Cognitive Ability
    MH - *College Students
    MH - *School Based Intervention
    MH - Frustration
    MH - Perfectionism
    MH - Procrastination
    CC - Health Psychology & Medicine [3360].
    PO - Human. Adulthood (18 yrs & older)
    MD - Empirical Study; Quantitative Study
    UP - 20140901 (PsycINFO)
    JN - Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences
    VO - 75
    IP - 2-A(E)
    PG - No Pagination Specified
    XL - http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=psyc11&AN=2014-99150-257
    XL - http://sfx.scholarsportal.info/ottawa?sid=OVID:psycdb&amp;id=pmid:&amp;id=doi:&amp;issn=0419-4209&amp;isbn=9781303529245&amp;volume=75&amp;issue=2-A(E)&amp;spage=No&amp;pages=No+Pagination+Specified&amp;date=2014&amp;title=Dissertation+Abstracts+International+Section+A:+Humanities+and+Social+Sciences&amp;atitle=Academic+procrastination+as+mediated+by+executive+functioning,+perfectionism,+and+frustration+intolerance+in+college+students.&amp;aulast=Sudler&amp;pid=<author>Sudler,+Eric+L</author><AN>2014-99150-257</AN><DT>Dissertation</DT>
  • Thanks, first glance looks like that might be doable.
  • do you have a book, too? Worried about distinguishing that from book chapter.
  • OK, I think this is about as good as we're going to get it now.
    The data isn't great as you can see yourself, but I think we're now extracting as much as we can.
  • Wonderful. Thanks so much for addressing my concerns. As for books, there doesn't seem to be any in PsycINFO, only book chapters. I checked the dissertations and book chapters and they look great. As you say, it's not perfect, but it's much better than what was being done yesterday prior to your intervention, so, again, many thanks.