Citation style for Management Science

Request for Management Science citation style

I have searched the forums and I did not find a similar style or request.

I used the Search by Example to find the most suitable style.

1) Journal example

In line citation example for Management Science: (Campbell and Pedersen 2007)
Bibliography example for Management Science: Campbell, J. L., O. K. Pedersen. 2007. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comp. Polit. Stud. 40(3) 307–332.

Closest Match offered by Limnology and Oceanography. There is perfect match for inline citation and 89% match for Bibliography.

Limnology and Oceanography produced the following bibliography: Campbell, J. L., and O. K. Pedersen. 2007. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comp. Polit. Stud. 40: 307–332.

Differences between Management Science and Limnology and Oceanography produced bibliography. Limnology and Oceanography has added an ‘and’ between the authors, and does not include the issue number (3) and added a colon between volume and page number.

2) Book example
In line citation example for Management Science: (McInnis and Nelson 2011)
Bibliography example for Management Science: McInnis, M. D., L. P. Nelson. 2011. Shaping the Body Politic: Art and Political Formation in Early America. University of Virginia Press, Charlottesville, VA.

Closest Match offered by Harvard - University of Limerick (Cite it Right). There is perfect match for inline citation and 90% match for Bibliography.

Harvard - University of Limerick (Cite it Right) produced the following bibliography: McInnis, M.D., Nelson, L.P. (2011) Shaping the Body Politic: Art and Political Formation in Early America, University of Virginia Press: Charlottesville, VA.

Differences between Management Science and Harvard produced bibliography. Harvard has moved the initials of second author after the name, it has included the year in parentheses, and added a colon instead of comma after the publisher.

Thank you for your time.

Theo S.
  • OK. It currently takes me anywhere between 2 weeks and 3months to get to style requests. If you're in a hurry you should probably try to do this yourself with the visual editor, but I'll do it eventually.
  • Thanks for the prompt feedback and the heads up.
    If you can do it in a couple of weeks that will be fine.

Meanwhile I don't mind trying to see what I can do myself. Where can I find the visual editor and is there a tutorial that I can use?

TS
  • You can find the editor here
    and a usage guide here
  • Did either of you end up creating the style for Management Science? I do not see it in the database. It also works for Decision Analysis, so it would be valuable.
  • edited August 12, 2015
    @adamsmith for the journal titled "Management Science" there is no style avilable. This is the most important journal of the Operations Management field and many people would need this.
  • Is there any guide or documentation of this reference style? I don't think that the example above are (still) correct, there seem to be some differences to what the journal wants.
  • Here are some examples.

In text:

François and Morellec (2004)

Broadie et al. (2007)

In Bibliography:

Zhang G (2010) Emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy: Is it good news or bad news for industry competitors? Financial Management 39(4):1719–1742.

Lai G, Debo Lg, Sycara K (2009) Sharing inventory risk in supply chain: The implication of financial constraint. Omega 37(4):811–825.
  • (journal articles should be in italics and abbreviated. http://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/pdf/10.1287/mnsc.2014.1999 is open access and has examples of book, book chapters and journal articles. An actual style guide would still be nice, though.
    Every formal guide I can find (e.g. as part of their LaTeX templates) still has the old style requested by stratopoulus above.
  • OK. So did anyone create this citation style? If so, please let me know where I can find it.
    Thanks.
  • no, no one has yet. As I say, it's a bit annoying that rather than actual instructions we have to figure out what the journal wants, so if you know of any place where they actually tell authors how to format manuscripts, that'd be helpful.
  • All I could find are here:

http://pubsonline.informs.org/page/orsc/submission-guidelines
    https://www.informs.org/content/download/17000/187215/file/Management-Science-template.zip

If you have already examined these, I guess it is not possible for you guys to add this citation style, right?

If so, I assume I can create it myself through the editor link above?
  • You certainly can do it yourself, yes.
    And I'm not saying it's impossible for us without a proper guide. I'm just saying we'd rather have one and I couldn't promise you when we'd be able to get to this.
  • @adasmith
    I built a style that nicely matches Management Science. Where can I share it so other users can use?
  • you submitted it through github, no? We'll process it there, just have a bit of patience.
  • edited January 13, 2016
    Dont know about github.
    Thanks anyway.
  • Oh, we have someone who has submitted that style here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/1839
    I assumed that was you, but in any case, that looks like a good version of the MS style that we'll use.
  • How about using organization science? It is also from Informs and it had been listed.
  • so, organization science automates the citation style as described in their author guidelines (packaged with the bibtex format). Unfortunately, that citation style bears no resemblance to the one actually used in Informs journals. We're going to assume that they want the style they actually publish and switch both Organization Science and Management Science to that style (and turn it into a single one).