Saved item not appearing in library

Hi

I've installed the Zotero standalone version 4.0.26.4 with the browser extension for Firefox, on a Windows OS. When I try to save items to my library using the icon in the address bar (either PubMed entries or webpages - eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25815273), I get a message in the bottom right of the screen saying 'Saving to my library' along with the name of what I'm trying to save. But it doesn't appear in the library (either in the Standalone version or online, even after I've synched. I think I'm saving in connector mode, as when I click on the 'Z' icon in Firefox to the right of the address and search bars, Zotero standalone pops up. I've tried going through the instructions on the 'Troubleshooting issues with Zotero translators' page but I can't work out how to fix it.

Thanks
Sarah
  • You have separate data directories for Standalone and Zotero for Firefox. See
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sharing_data_directory
  • edited April 24, 2015
    Thanks - I did look at this page but still couldn't work out how to fix it.

If I have got Zotero for Firefox I don't know how to open it to change the data directory location. When I click on the 'Z' icon in Firefox it just opens the standalone version, not Zotero for Firefox.

Also, from the section under 'How do I know if my data directories are shared?' it looks like they are already shared (as clicking on the Zotero icon makes the standalone version pop up).

Thanks
  • OK, let's make sure though. Close down Standalone and then click on the Z in Firefox. Are you seeing exactly the same library? Also, try adding that item from PubMed in that setup. Does that work?
  • When I closed down Standalone and clicked on the Z it took me to what looked like the same library in Zotero for Firefox. Adding the Pubmed item to that setup worked fine.

I then followed the steps in the link you posted above to copy the data directory location in Zotero standalone to the one for Zotero for Firefox, and restarted Firefox. But then I had the same issue when I opened Standalone and tried saving something - it didn't appear in any of my libraries. It only seems to work when I have Zotero for Firefox open. (Though when I do this it does then appear in the library in Zotero standalone.)
  • And you're saying you see the title of the item you're saving in the pop-up, yes? That's very odd.
    You've looked in My Library, sorted by "Date Added" to make sure you're not just overlooking the item?
  • Yes, I'm seeing the title in the pop up and I've checked in My Library and my group library, sorted by date added. When I have a group library highlighted in Standalone it says it's adding to My Library, though (but appears in neither).
  • I'll think about it. Currently makes no sense to me and we've never seen this (the title appearing in the pop-up should be a guarantee that the item is getting saved somewhere). Maybe someone else has an idea?
  • Thanks for your help! Given it only seems to not work properly when standalone is open, maybe I should just stick to the Firefox version for adding things to my library.
  • that's certainly going to work, but it'd be good to figure out what's amiss otherwise, as using Standalone with Firefox shouldn't be a problem.
  • Could you try selecting some collection in zotero standalone, then importing from Firefox. Does the collection appear in the import popup? Does it still say that it's importing to My Library?

Also, could you generate real time debug output from Firefox for importing one item with standalone open and email it to support@zotero.org https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#real-time_debug_output