Folder structure for files synced to second computer via WebDav

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have been unable to locate an answer:

On Computer A (Ubuntu) I have my Zotero collection, with PDF attachments renamed and moved with Zotfile, with the following folder structure (main folders are A through to Z, and within each there are folders of the form AuthorsurnameInitial):

.../docs/A/AbleA/AbleA_Ecology_of_marmosets.pdf
.../docs/A/AbleB/AbleB_Conservation_of_mammals.pdf
.../docs/B/BarnesA/BarnesA_Africa.pdf
.../docs/B/BarnesB/BarnesB_Nigeria.pdf
etc.

These PDF files sync fine via WebDav to box.com (I have checked and can see them) and the Zotero collection (not the PDFs) syncs fine to my Zotero online library.

Now I wish to sync the whole collection to Computer B. The Zotero collection syncs fine but not the PDF files from box.com.

Am I correct in thinking that to do this successfully I would have to recreate the whole folder structure on Computer B?

With thanks for any ideas!
  • why are you using WebDAV? If you move the files with ZotFile, why not just use box.com's sync folder, which will sync the entire folder structure?
  • Many thanks for the reply. My idea for using webdav came from https://www.zotero.org/support/sync but I am happy to try another method. I'm not sure that I understand your question completely. Do you mean:

Put my 'docs' folder (which contains all my attachments) into a box.com sync folder that is on Computer A?

I don't seem to have a box.com folder on Computer A, however (perhaps because I am using Ubuntu?).

Many thanks.
  • right, they don't have an out-of-the-box sync client for linux, though see here:
    https://support.box.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200285268-Box-Sync-for-Linux-anyone-

But basically: the moment you do anything to move files out of Zotero's own folder structure (i.e. the zotero/storage folder) you're on your own for file sync. You can probably make it happen with a mounted webDAV server (which is entirely different from the WebDAV solution mentioned in the docs, which is for files stored in Zotero), but it's going to be non-trivial.

If you want an easy solution, use dropbox, which does have a linux client (or don't rely on ZotFile and your own folder structure).
  • Many thanks - this gives me much food for thought. When I embarked on the present folder structure I had not anticipated all of the consequences! There are conveniences to the present folder structure however, so I will now weigh up my various options.

Again, with grateful thanks.