[MLZ] multiple publishers & places of publication

That's a question for Frank...
According to the (fantastic) MLZ book (p. 115 & p. 117), it seems potentially possible to code a mlz-style which handles correctly the relation between multiple publishers and their respective places of publication, e.g. :
J. Doe, My Life, 2005, Paris : Gallimard, Oxford: OUP.

(edit: I forgot the question:) but how can that be done ?

(related : https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11332/multiple-place-of-publication/ )
  • That's a fair question! There are a couple of additional attributes on the cs:group element related to this. Confusion is natural: the documentation for CSL-m does need an update for this and some other features. Here's what the code would look like: <macro name="publisher">
    <group delimiter=": " subgroup-delimiter=", " and="symbol">
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

The cs:group element should contain the publisher-place and publisher elements only, and nothing else. The "delimiter" will be used to join each publisher with its publisher place, the "subgroup-delimiter" separates the publisher/place pairs, and the "and" attribute does what it normally does in other contexts.

I'll confess that this is pushing things, and may not be the best solution: but on the plus side, it works without dramatic changes to the UI or the data model, and the behavior is there in the processor in case it proves useful.
  • Thanks ! I'll try that.
  • I have the same problem: I want several publisher places to be separated by a comma (,) not a semicolon (;). I tired the example above, but using the `subgroup-delimiter=", "` attribute I get the notice that my style isn't a correct Zotero style and it does not changes nothing at all. Did I get something wrong?
  • note the MLZ tag -- this thread is only for multilingual Zotero, see here:
    http://citationstylist.org/
  • Hello Frank and Adam,

I have read the threads on multiple publishers and places. I still have some questions, however.

As a law scolar it is often important to refer to legal cases. These cases are published in multiple legal journals, all of these journals, each with there year and page, must be shown. I understood that it is not possible to create new fields for the same value such as can be done for names. I nevertheless need to generate citations like the following on a rregular basis:

Cass. 18 Octobre 2010, JTT 2012, 86; Pas. 2010, 567; JLMB 2011, 45 and RW 2010, 1032.

Given I use Franks multilingual Zotero, did I understood correctly that I can achieve this citation with a cs:group code in my style csl that contains the publication, date and pages macros.

Did I moreover understood correctly that I will have to fill in all the different journals/dates/pages in the same field? To achieve the above citation this would mean:

Publication: JTT; Pas.; JLMB; RW
    Pages: 86; 567; 45; 1032
    Date: 2012; 2010; 2011; 2010

(or with another delimiter)

The code I need to implement, will it be something like this?

&ltmacro name="publication"&gt
    &ltgroup delimiter=", " subgroup-delimiter="; " and="symbol"&gt
    &lttext variable="publication"/&gt
    &lttext variable="date"/&gt
    &lttext variable="pages"/&gt
    &lt/group&gt
    &lt/macro&gt

To make it all the more complicated, to have a completely correct citation the publication and the date should be separated by a space only, the date and the page by a comma, and the last publication should be preceded by 'and'.

If you could make all (or most) of this happen, Zotero will no langer have limits to me!

Thanks in advance!
  • There is support for parallel citations in MLZ, although it is not guaranteed to work correctly with all cites and styles. It may work for your requirements, but you'll have to try it and see. If you encounter problems, we can look at the use case, and see if it can be fixed.

You definitely don't want to put all of the parallel cite information in a single item: each reference should be in a separate MLZ item. For convenience, you can connect them with the Related tab (although creating many-to-many relations through the user interface can be troublesome).

To (attempt to) create parallel citations, enter them as a "multiple" citation. If the processor recognizes the common features of the two cites (the name and year, if I recall correctly), it will attempt to collapse them by omitting some of the fields that they have in common.

Again, this is an experimental feature; but if it works for you, that will be very good news.
  • this is documented in your book, right?
  • this is documented in your book, right?
    Yep, at p.6, with an example on p.78. I wanted to stress that it's experimental, though - it's based on field-matching heuristics, and I'm not sure how well it will handle Civil Law cites, or how well it will hold up in production.
  • Thank you Frank for the quick answer. I checked out your book as well. This is indeed what I want to achieve. I'll try some things out and hopefully I'll get where I want to be. If not, I'll take my search from there. In that case, the chance exists that you might need to help me out once more ;-).

Your dedication is much admired,

Willem