Mac Word Plugin 2.0a1 Questions

2»
  • edited December 9, 2008
    rathern than:

sudo easy_install

sudo ./easy_install

might work

because the current working directory is not usually in your PATH
  • kieren: No, that won't work. easy_install is part of the Python setuptools, not something that would be in the current working directory. setuptools may not be installed by default on 10.4 systems.

Enterprising individuals on Tiger could install setuptools for Python 2.3, sudo easy_install appscript, and replace MacWord.py in Word Script Menu Item/Zotero with the updated version. But we would only recommend this for advanced users who understand what all of these steps entail.

The installer does not yet support Tiger systems, but we're still planning to release a Tiger-compatible version.
  • I'm running os x 10.5.6 intel macbook pro. i've installed firefox 3.0.5 added the zotero 1.5 sync preview 3.6 and installed the plugin for 2008 and I can't get anything to come up in word. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • The new mac plugin runs through the apple script menu. You won't see the buttons like you use to see. Check if Zotero is in the script dropdown menu in word.
  • edited February 28, 2009
    i had some problems, but finally got it to work with mac word 2008. however, before i installed the latest firefox plugin, i was able to add citations through webofscience. after installing the plugin, i get the spinning ball and nothing happens. any help appreciated.

update: i just started a new collection and I am now able to add items to that collection...
  • Where does this issue currently stand? I can see the scripts in the script menu, but nothing happens when I click on them. I just downloaded the beta and the plugin today (May 5).
  • Hello,

I'm using OS X.4.11 on a (very old) G3 PowerBook, with Word 2004. Any chance of a plugin I can use anytime soon? The website seems to have been saying that something would come along for OSX.4 users eventually for a very long time.

(I appreciate all the work that is being done -- zotero looks like being a fine application -- just hoping to get a progress update.)

All the best,
    Ian
  • edited May 7, 2009
    There's an experimental version of a 10.4-compatible Word 2004 plug-in available here (see also this thread). We will release this with the next update to Zotero.
  • Thanks, Simon. I've downloaded it and am trying it out.
    All the best,
    Ian
  • I tried to install the word plugin, but the installation failed repeatedly: I always get a message stating that the installer failed to write a receipt for the microsoft word zotero integration.
    (I have OS 10.5.7 and Word 2008 newly installed on my machine.)

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks for your help!
    Mathias
  • Hi,

thanks for the quick reply: yes it does help, the installation was successful, but I'm still having a problem: the zotero commands don't show up under the squiggly icon in the word toolbar, as I think they should. I just checked that the zotero file is in fact stored in: /User/documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items/, as suggested in the thread linked above.

Thanks!
    Mathias
  • mathiasf: See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4575/installing-the-sync-mac-word-2008-plugin/#Item_15
  • Thanks. this was helpful. The folder was in the right place and now zotero does appear in the menu bar. Perhaps I had to restart the computer to make it show up. (I think I had quit Word earlier, and zotero didn't show up after restarting, but shutting down the computer and restarting it might have done the trick.)
    I'm very impressed with the quick response and help I've received.

Thanks!
  • Is there a plug-in for Word 2008 / OSX 10.4? The documentation indicates there is not yet. Thanks.

("The Word 2008 plugin currently only works with OS X 10.5 (Leopard). A 10.4-compatible version will be available in the near future. ")
  • edited July 20, 2009
    if you already have this installed, you could try this plugin
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6135/2/timline-on-mac-word-2004-plugin/
    which is - as the thread suggests, for Word 2004 - but people seem to think this may be most likely to work.

Also, look through the thread above - possible solutions are discussed - though they don't look easy.
  • edited September 16, 2009
    If you want to try the experimental Word 2008 plug-in (which should work with 10.4), use this link, not the one mentioned in that thread. We should be releasing these soon.
  • Is there a plug-in for Word 2008 / OSX 10.4?
    Word 2008 on 10.4 is supported by the new plugins available for 2.0b7.

Please start new threads for any issues with the new plugin.
This discussion has been closed.