Can't Install MS Word Integration Mac

Hi,

I have a Macbook running Leopard (10.5.6) and have installed Zotero 1.5. I tried to install the Word plugin for Word 2008 but it gives the error that it can't write the receipt. I've also tried installing on my admin account but no luck.

Thanks for any help with this.

Joe
  • The Word 2008 plugin won't currently install on a non-admin user account. It should install on an admin account, though.
  • Thanks, Dan. Tried it on my admin account but it didn't work. The error message said it was unable to install in /private/tmp so I looked there and found that it tried to create the zotero folder under the username that I first tried to install it under. I removed that folder and the plugin installed just fine from the admin account.
  • But no Zotero functions under the applescript icon on both the admin and user accounts. Saw some other threads and moved the folder in question but still no go.

Joe
  • Sorry Dan. I need to figure stuff out before emailing! The Zotero file belongs under /User/documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items/, not just in the documents folder. What a stupid I am.

All is running well.

Joe
  • OK, glad to hear it.
  • Thanks for the previous comments, particularly Joe's.

As a brand new Zotero user who jumped into 1.5, I couldn't find my Zotero plugin after it was 'successfully' installed within Word. I didn't realize that it would appear as a Word related AppleScript item rather than an MS Word ToolBar.

After reading Joe's comment, I stopped looking under the lamppost and moved down the 'street' a bit to check under my AppleScript pull-down and lo, Zotero was there!

While I may have overlooked it, perhaps a bit more information about the AppleScript location of the installed alpha plugin would be useful for newbies like me. Thanks.
  • Hi there,

thanks for all your comments. I am a total computer dummy, so frankly: This is tough for me. Joes comment helped a lot as by default, my zotero folder was placed in the Macintosh HD/Word Script Menu Items/-folder after installation. But still I find it confusing that there are no buttons and I'm not at all familiar with this apple script-stuff. Still I managed to integrate my first citation :-)
    But you really should overthink the toolbar-button-thing. For people like me that would be a lot easier!

And some more explanation on installation and use would be great. I'm happy to support you, if it helps.

Carina
  • But you really should overthink the toolbar-button-thing. For people like me that would be a lot easier!
    You'll have to tell that to Microsoft. As far as we know, they no longer provide a public way to create toolbar buttons in Word 2008.

Note, though, that you can use keyboard shortcuts to trigger the commands. The keys are listed in the menu, and the symbols mean Ctrl and Option.
  • Wow, that's again some proof that Microsoft is kind if evil... But thanks for the tip with the shortcuts!