Neooffice extension, which one do I use?

I have leopard and until the most recent zotero sync preview update for firefox I was able to use Neooffice flawlessly with zotero. The most recent update requires a new add-on for neooffice, but since neooffice is at version 2.5 I am not sure which extension to use. Please help
  • Nevermind, I got the 2.0a2 to work
  • Not sure whether you've found this, but in testing we've found the 2.0a2 OpenOffice extension to initially work in NeoOffice, but for NeoOffice to quickly crash while using it. We're looking into the cause.
  • I'll certainly keep my eye out to see if Neooffice crashes, as of yet, no (knock on wood).
  • Neooffice still does crash: they are also trying to work on it
    (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3315)

When I push on the button to insert a reference. In 'Format Using' I can only choose 'Fields' and never 'Bookmarks'. Is this normal?

I'm using:
    1.5 Sync Preview 3.5
    Zotero OpenOffice.org 2.0a2 extension

on Mac OS.X 10.4.11
  • here the answer from the guys from NeoOffice

"OK. I can now reproduce this crashing but I am closing it as not a bug
    as I have determined that this is a bug in Zotero's Python code.

Basically, Zotero is trying to load a NeoOffice component that is not
    available in NeoOffice 2.2.5 or in OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 (the version
    that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is based on). Since Zotero's code does not have any
    code that catches the exceptions thrown when such a failure happens, the
    default behavior for applications occurs which is to abort and quit when
    an uncaught exception is thrown.

I suspect that Zotero's code is
    trying to load a component that only exists in OpenOffice.org 3.0 and
    does not exist in NeoOffice 2.2.5 or OpenOffice 2.2.1 as I can reproduce
    the same behavior in OpenOffice 2.2.1."

If any of the Zotero staff can
    determine where in their Python code the failure occurs in. Then have
    them post in this bug and we can determine if there is an alternate
    component that they can use."

Is there a chance of finding a solution? Because at the moment Zotero does not work on OpenOffice 3.0, on NeoOffice 2.5.5. and on Microsoft Mac 2008
  • neither for Microsoft Mac 2004
  • edited December 12, 2008
    at the moment Zotero does not work on [...] on Microsoft Mac 2008
    There is an alpha plugin for Word 2008, just not 2004 currently.

We're looking into the NeoOffice issue. It appears to only occur with certain citation styles, so for longer-term projects you might be able to use a different style for the time being.
  • Dear Dan Stillman
    I'm really sorry to bother you again. Probably there is a problem with my computer. I installed the plugin for Word 2008 and Zotero does install itself in Word put when I choose one of the commands it does not connect to the zotero library.
  • And one further possible help for Neo Office. I'm using the Chicago citation style. When one uses this style, the only possible format is 'Fields', 'Bookmarks' is not avalaible. Could that be the problem?
  • edited December 13, 2008
    and do you know which citation styles do work with NeoOffice?
  • I installed the plugin for Word 2008 and Zotero does install itself in Word put when I choose one of the commands it does not connect to the zotero library.
    Tiger isn't yet supported, though it will be soon.
    I'm using the Chicago citation style. When one uses this style, the only possible format is 'Fields', 'Bookmarks' is not avalaible.
    Due to a limitation in OpenOffice's .doc handling, you can't use Bookmarks mode with note-based styles.
    do you know which citation styles do work with NeoOffice
    I believe APA should work without crashing. Other styles should work too, but you'd have to test.

The crash would occur when a bibliography was regenerated, which would happen as soon as you inserted a new citation after inserting a bibliography. You may be able to still use Chicago as long as you don't generate the bibliography until the end.
  • I noticed that my neooffice plugin v2.02a crashes when I try to insert citation with author names that have special unicode characters.

Things were working perfectly for me on mac os x 10.5, and neooffice started crashing on me suddenly. I tried playing around with it, and noticed that it only crashed when I inserted the following citation:

Ågerfalk, P. J., & Fitzgerald, B. (2008). OUTSOURCING TO AN UNKNOWN WORKFORCE: EXPLORING OPENSOURCING AS A GLOBAL SOURCING STRATEGY. MIS Quarterly, 32(2), 385-409. doi: Article.

I hope that helps.
  • I might be of further assistance if someone could point me to how I might generate debug information or error output for the neooffice plug in.
  • NeoOffice 2.2 crashes are unlikely to be fixed, as NeoOffice 2.2 is based on very old code (OpenOffice 2.2) and the release of NeoOffice 3.0 is imminent. A patch to fix OpenOffice 3.0 on OS X is now available, so I'd recommend using that if you're encountering crashing in NeoOffice 2.2.
  • I am trying to follow this thread but not succeeding fully. Dan has been very helpful the past few months and I now am enjoying Zotero 1.09 for easy capture of bibliographic data on my MAC (10.5 OSX) via Firefox on EBSCO database (ProQuest does not work). Now I am trying to build a document with citations. Word 2008 is an alpha only on 1.5 Zotera (Beta) and I am reluctant to try as I am not as technically sophisticated as most on these fora. I am confused over the choice of open source options: Open Office versus Neoffice and which version of the latter with which plug in. Is there a stable solution for one of those I can use with relative confidence? Many thanks in advance
  • Stan: See Word Processor Integration for options for 1.0.9 and Sync Preview Word Processor Plugins for options for 1.5. All the information on the compatible applications is on those pages. At the moment, for open-source options on OS X with 1.0.9, you can either run a simple patch for OO3 or use OO2.4 or NeoOffice. All of these options should be relatively stable.