Using Zotero at College

2»
  • edited November 9, 2014
    Synching today I had this error, Report ID 1488117618

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js :: Zotero.File</this.createShortened :: line 326" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 586}]

[extra output removed — D.S.]

[JavaScript Error: "Unexpected file registration status 500 (0_JA47VM3Q)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 579}]
    [JavaScript Error: "An internal server error occurred. Please try again later." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 580}]
    [JavaScript Error: "A file sync error occurred. Please try syncing again.

If you receive this message repeatedly, restart Zotero and/or your computer and try again. If you continue to receive the message, submit an error report and post the Report ID to a new thread in the Zotero Forums." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 581}]

[...]
  • I had the message repeatedly, and it was longer than that, but couldn't fit in the text box.
  • are you using Zotfile?
  • I don't know I'm afraid.
  • It also said
    Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsIFile.create]
  • Should I worry I can't synch?
  • No ZotFile. Elizabeth, can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces this error?
  • he Debug ID is D1981618002

Just done it - I think. Still can't synch.
  • That's just to help us debug the problem. It's not meant to fix anything.

I haven't read the above thread, so I don't really know what's happened here, but somehow you ended up with an auto-created, hidden Zotero file — .zotero-ft-cache — being the main file associated with an attachment, which apparently causes an error. We can fix that, but there's also no reason that should be an attached file, and I'm not sure how it ended up that way for you.

In any case, search for WFC8RKJM in the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode, delete the attachment that shows up, and then empty the Zotero trash. Then try syncing again. If you get a conflict for that attachment, choose the local deleted version.
  • great, thanks that seemed to do the trick!
  • Hi there
    I can't seem to get Zotero to work today with Word. Am getting this message:

Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getDocument]

Any ideas??

Thanks!
  • do you have the largest version of the Word add-on installed? That'd be 3.1.19?
  • I reinstalled the add-on from CITE in ZOTERO PREFERENCES, then oddly I am just getting the error message again. Although I haven't come out of the document. It's peculiar.
  • Given I was ok at first after reinstalling it.
  • In fact in CITE it now says word add in not installed but when I click on install add in although it says 'installing', it remains 'add in not installed' and I can't use Zotero. This is mysterious. Given I was using it ok an hour ago. I use Chrome btw not FireFox.