first sync error

Report no: 886637893
[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Another sync operation is already in progress' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Another sync operation is already in progress' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"
  • I just tried syncing again and got:

Report ID: 1678387854

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult:

I should add that I have a very large library (<8000).
    Thanks for any help
    US
  • I'm getting the same message this morning. I do not have a giant library, but did just add about thirty books over the course of two hours (to a total of a few hundred). Any clue what's up here?
  • Note also this unanswered thread, which suggests it might be related to a specific entry:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4182/synchronizing-empty-response-from-server-id-1924310576/
  • We'll look into this—thanks.
  • Thanks Dan. For the record my report id is 1349366588.
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. I've reproduced the error on two separate machines, connected to different networks. Here's what I'm getting in the error console:

Error: [Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]

I've submitted a report to the bug tracker*, ID 57155152.

* It'd be nice to be able to interact with the database direct, people!
  • I just tried (Gear Menu)->Clear Server Data and that seems to have done the trick. Does this work for others as well?
  • I tried that a few times too and it didn't help. Finally decided to remove Sync Preview and roll back to the old version and copy libraries back and forth between home and office. I regret that, because but what else can I do?
  • I'm having the same issue (after clearing server data, resetting the lock and the client data). My database is also large, about 9000 entries. I've sent the debug data through to support at zotero.

Thanks for your excellent work on this.
  • Same thing. Tried to export/import some folders to locate the problematic one. Which resulted in loss of folder structure and half of notes I made yesterday, but the error persisted.
    No offence, but zotero is buggy as hell. It is the second time it lets me down right before the deadline (last time the previous version of zotero produced an error in some field of a large OO document, and I had to re-insert all fields again). I know this is a free product, and it is still being tested, but right now it is of extremely low reliability. Don't recommend anyone to really rely on it at the moment. I'll have to switch to something else. Thanks for your efforts. Zotero is a great idea, and I do hope some day it'll be better implemented.
  • If you are using Zotero for a "deadline" you should not be working with the Sync Preview. As clearly stated in the download and installation instructions for the Sync Preview, "Zotero 1.5 Sync Preview is under active development and is not yet feature complete. Data loss could occur at any time while using the Sync Preview, and we strongly encourage you to use it only with a separate test copy of your Zotero library." Instead you should use 1.0.7.
  • Just had the same problem again, and resolved it again by clearing the server data. It happened right after I manually entered a journal article, which I tagged twice, first with a new tag and second with a preexisting one. Not sure if any of this is helpful, but figured I'd mention anything distinctive. I also attached a link to the current page. Let me know if I can provide any other helpful information. I'm okay for now, after this second mini-scare.
  • Same error I'm getting here, driving me a bit crazy!

Think I'm going to roll back to Zotero 1 for a while, any recommendations on how to do this in the least painful way?
  • The latest 1.5 Sync Preview release, SP3, is now available, and it should fix some (though not all) of the causes of this error.
  • Despite having installed this latest version, still not being able to sync and still getting the message: "Last error. Empty response from server"
  • corto_lu: Could you generate debug output for the sync attempt and send it to support@zot....org?
  • how do you do that?
  • Please follow the instructions found here.
  • 1.5 Sync Preview 3.2, now available, should provide better feedback for these problems. In particular, it'll either provide a Report ID (which will allow us to easily look up the details of an error) or a warning that a tag was too long to sync (which was the cause of a large number of sync failures).
  • Here the report I get: "Last error: Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: dcf6f03f)
    Thanks
  • My error is: 1222279932

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Another sync operation is already in progress' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

Dan: if long tags are the cause of a large number of sync failures, there is a way to find these tags?

I can't see it in the left column: it's too narrow to see long tags. I never succed to enlarge it?
    Is it possible?
    Thanks
  • if long tags are the cause of a large number of sync failures, there is a way to find these tags? I can't see it in the left column: it's too narrow to see long tags.
    If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can use that to scroll up and down the tag list and find long tags even if the scrollbar is hidden.
  • edited November 10, 2008
    I have a scroll wheel, and I use it many times. But, to see long tag, I should "scroll left to right"... My screen is not very large, I can see around 50 caracters, in the pop-up to rename/delete the tag too, not much more. Far from 256 characters.
    I have a lot of items and tags, hundreds...
    !!!

I just discover that in Search template, if I choose "Tag =", the drop-down menu to choose tags is much larger: I can have a better view like that. Not perfect, but...

I note also that very long tags often occur when a translator put a wrong field in a tag, or when all tags-keywords are just concatenate in one super big tag...

Otherwise, when do you expect to fix the sync bug?

Is there a way to create a Report (or a list) to see just tags? It could be useful to re-organise tags periodicaly...

Thanks
  • my error was logged as 1365628819 - I have never been able to download or upload to the server... this is a real problem!
  • Same problem - The error message is that a certain tag is "too long" but the text of the offending tag is no longer part of any item in my library. I'd be happy to delete the offending item... if I knew which one it was. I've tried all the reset options.
  • I'm also still getting the Empty Response from Server error on a large database.

Is there a limited list of all the possible fields that must meet this length requirement? Author, tags, publisher, date?

Last bit of log output is below:

zotero(5): REPLACE INTO version VALUES ('lastremotesync', ?)

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 1233602994

zotero(5): Committing transaction

zotero(3): Resetting Notifier event queue

zotero(3): HTTP POST 5853297 bytes to https://sync.zotero.org/upload?gzip=1 (gzipped from 29671891 bytes; 80% savings)

zotero(1): Empty response from server
  • To repeat, in the hope that I can move this along:

Is there a limited list of all the possible fields that must meet this length requirement? Author, tags, publisher, date?
  • edited February 23, 2009
    edit: I was able to resolve my issue by doing a reset of the server data via the 'Sync' tab in the new 1.5 beta
  • edited February 23, 2009
    (edit: issue resolved)
  • edited February 18, 2009
    I'm not even using tags, but still getting an error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 1771590048). It's my first attempt to sync.

Edit: I created a new profile and now it's working. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.