first sync error

2»
  • Hi. I just downloaded Beta 1.5, signed up for a zotero account, and tried to Sync my library. I received an "Empty response from server" error message.

I tried to "Restore to the Zotero server" using the reset tab under preferences, and deleted all of my tags. Still no luck--any idea what I can do to fix this?
  • edited February 26, 2009
    This seems to be a widespread problem (see, e.g., my "Can't Get My Zotero Library onto a Second Machine" thread and "Error 587657, Invalid response from server"). I haven't seen any responses that helpfully address it. It would be nice to at least hear that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.
  • @imacinnes Jan 1st 2009,

Might be worth checking out the following thread:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5435/too-many-letters-in-tag-to-sync/#Item_0

as it seemed to answer the 'Tag...too long' problem for me.
  • @philgons Thanks for your message. We're actively working to solve this problem. Please see Dan's response.
  • Thanks, Sean. I appreciate the response. And thanks for all of the great work!
  • Hi,
    I just installed 1.5b1 and it's doing the initial sync.
    My problem is that this initial sync goes on forever and it seems like nothing happens on the server side. When I go to my library on the web, nothing happens. I have a collection of a bit over 1000 refs. It stayed up all night and was still running this morning.
    Any clue what I should do?

Thanks
  • I just got my first successful sync of my now 11,000+ database to go through!
  • I'm still getting an error on initial upload of 7000 records - but it is now specified: Error processing uploaded data Report ID cbfc2351.
  • breckenr: This is an error we're working on, and we hope to have a fix very soon.
  • Thanks Dan.

Alas, no luck using 2.0b5. I still get "Error processing uploaded data 6887df20"

Good luck.
  • breckenr: From the error report it looks like you actually have a >16,000-item database, including child items. There are still some issues with databases of that size, so a fix will be a little while longer.
  • To Dan Stillman

I am not sure which thread to follow on this so apologies if it is the wrong one. I am getting that empty response from server on one MAC (it worked last night on that one) and nothing on the other one - although intermittently it does sync. This is coincident with installing 2.05b. It does seem to be sporadic - My database is about 850 items - I often associate pdfs to them but I don't think that this is backed up by the Zotero server only the link. So I have a modest database.

PS I am demonstrating Zotero to some one at our Central Library tomorrow afternoon UK time - if you have any estimate on when this might be resolved, it will help me explain that feature.

AS always many thanks for your help
  • I am not sure which thread to follow on this so apologies if it is the wrong one.
    If in doubt, start your own thread and post only to that until your problem is resolved. It's certainly not necessary to post to every thread mentioning a sync problem.

We can't give any specific advice without Report IDs from Report Errors under the gear menu (sent in after errors occur and before restarting Firefox).
  • Is it possible to build up to a working sync by breaking up a large database (say 20,000 items) in to pieces and then importing them? Or is the problem that the server will simply not sync the big databases?
  • unable to synchronize

Report ID: 139852077

Report Error: [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • Hi,
    I am also not able to sync with the server.
    Yesterday night with everything the same as today in the morning, it has been possible.
    The only thing that has changed since yesterday is some entries on the server, modified by another machine.

Error Report: 594069980

Thanks for your good work!
  • corto_lu, twk: Should be fixed now.
This discussion has been closed.