Rich-text in 3.1 is beautiful!

The new rich-text support for notes is superb. Thank you!

Zotero continues to amaze me and surpass expectations. (Now, if you can just add outlining and import/export for notes, I'll really be in heaven... :)
  • I agree--I was resorting to my own markup system for notes when including excerpts with italics and other formatting. This is a great improvement!

A few minor improvements I would like to see:

1. Formatting support in the Web view of notes (right now my notes appear on beta.zotero.org as plain text)

2. Keyboard shortcuts for applying italics, bold, etc. in the editor

3. A button for small caps (this is used in my field to indicate a new technical term; right now I'm inserting them manually in the HTML, which is rather tedious)
  • 4. The ability to nest numbered lists, for mini-outlines.
  • I actually meant to write "opml import/export for notes" (since I do all my note-taking in an outliner). But I guess that should be posted in the feature request forum category.
  • edited October 28, 2008
    4. The ability to nest numbered lists, for mini-outlines.
    If I use paragraph indent button in a numbered outline, I seem to get nested outlines--don't you?
  • Just to give credit where it's due, we're using TinyMCE, an open-source WYSIWYG XHTML editor, for the notes.
    2. Keyboard shortcuts for applying italics, bold, etc. in the editor
    Ctrl-I, Ctrl-B, etc. We'll see if we can make these platform-appropriate.
    4. The ability to nest numbered lists, for mini-outlines.
    As Elena noted, try indent/outdent once in list mode. (This is why we put them together in one section with the list buttons, since normally indent/outdent just do presentational CSS padding.)
  • 3. A button for small caps (this is used in my field to indicate a new technical term; right now I'm inserting them manually in the HTML, which is rather tedious)
    I think this is a perfect example of where adding the ability to have custom semantic tags would be preferable. E.g. some way to add a button that behind the scenes does ...

<span class="technical-term">foo</span>
    ... where you could maybe specify some CSS for rendering.
  • Hello,

One quick and minor thing relating to the keyboard shortcuts... it would be handy if tab/shift-tab did indent and outdent... That certainly makes outlining on the fly a lot easier. I'm not sure how much control you have over this stuff with TinyMCE... but I thought I'd mention it...

Mike
  • edited October 29, 2008
    @Dan Stillman

Just to give credit where it's due, we're using TinyMCE, an open-source WYSIWYG XHTML editor, for the notes.

May be an update of the credits in 'About Zotero' is due.
  • May be an update of the credits in 'About Zotero' is due.
    Yup—on its way.
  • Thanks for the tip about using the indent buttons for nested lists. I'll try it next time I have the SP open.
    it would be handy if tab/shift-tab did indent and outdent... That certainly makes outlining on the fly a lot easier.
    I can imagine that this kind of thing is not that easy to add to TinyMCE, but I'd certainly second it if it were. Keyboard-friendly outlining in genera would be a very nice touch. This could include indenting/outdenting with TAB as mentioned above, and ideally the CTRL+SHIFT set of shortcuts for quick re-ordering (UP/DOWN) and pro-/demoting (LEFT/RIGHT).

I also second Bruce's suggestion for buttons (or keyboard shortcuts) for extensible (and I suppose semi-standardized) semantic markup.

Very nice work on this!
  • Now that HTML and TinyMCE is here, it would be great to add math support for those of us in the sciences. As an example of what this would give us and how it is done in TinyMCE, take a look here:

<http://www.imathas.com/editordemo/demo.html>;