Style Error: Chicago Author-Date: collapse

CMoS, 16e, 15.29 ("Multiple text references") demands,

"Additional works by the same author(s) are cited by date only, separated by commas except where page numbers are required.

[Examples:]

(Whittaker 1967, 1975; Wiens 1989a, 1989b)

(Wong 1999, 328; 2000, 475; García 1998, 67)"

I suggest adding 'collapse="year"' to <citation ... > in chicago-author-date.csl.

'collapse="year"' works well with both pandoc and Zotero. One problem remains, however: The rule "date only, separated by commas" is followed, but the exception "except where page numbers are required" is not. In the latter case, a semicolon should be used (after "328") where the actual output of both pandoc and Zotero is a comma:

(Wong 1999, 328, 2000, 475; García 1998, 67)

Can this be solved within the existing CSL schema, or is it a schema issue?
  • Nice one. Certainly food for thought. I'll play around with the processor code a little, and wait to see what Sebastian and Rintze have to say.
  • (I'll look at this more closely, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done with the current schema and also that I've come across this before, outside of Zotero)
  • There are even more complex cases, like "(Wong 1999a, 328; 1999b, 157; 2000, 2001)", that also involve year-suffix-delimiter.

One option would be to fall back from using any custom delimiter to the delimiter set on cs:layout whenever two neighboring years or year-suffixes are separated by additional content (like a locator). This could be a configurable toggle.

Or we could introduce another delimiter, like after-locator-delimiter.
  • Has anything be done since this last post in 2014 to address this issue? Seems like Zotero is still inserting a semi-colon rather than a comma. For example (Smith 2002; 2014) rather than (Smith 2002, 2014).
  • we never even added the collapse="year" to the Chicago author-date style, so currently you should be getting (Smith 2012; Smith 2014) -- @Rintze @nickbart either of you remember if there's a reason this never happened or if it just slipped through?
  • Don't know. I usually deferred to others regarding Chicago.
  • I was reporting the issue as described by a student I'm helping. I just tested and, you're right, it's displaying as you mention with the last name repeated twice. This student sent me a screen capture where his references are displayed as mentioned in my original example, so I'm a bit confused as to how he got his references to be displayed as (Autesserre 2010; 2014; Hopf 2002; 2012; Pouliot 2010).
  • it depends on the citation style -- you'd have to find out which they're using and we can (if warranted) fix that
  • The collapse="year" fix itself seems to have slipped through.

As to the additional problem with page numbers, either of @Rintze's suggestions sound sensible:

> One option would be to fall back from using any custom delimiter to the delimiter set on cs:layout whenever two neighboring years or year-suffixes are separated by additional content (like a locator). This could be a configurable toggle.

> Or we could introduce another delimiter, like after-locator-delimiter.
  • I confirmed with the student that he had manually removed the author's name for the repeated references. So, he is using Chicago Author-Date and it is behaving the way you mentioned. I don't think that this happens that frequently for most users, but if a fix is possible, it would probably be worthwhile for those using this style. Many thanks for your continued efforts and quick responses. Much appreciated!