New Zotero icon in Firefox 29+ (4.0.20)

(Moved from https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/36409/zotero-icon-in-firefox-29-and-higher/ )

I'm not sure that monochrome icon for Zotero is the way to go. It doesn't look like that's the general trend (so far at least) with other add-ons. This makes Zotero icon quite hard to see/find and it looks like it's disabled (since for other addons monochrome icon appears only when disabled). Additionally, even Firefox's native icons are not always monochrome: the star turns blue when a page is bookmarked, the download arrow turns green when a file is downloaded.

I think that Zotero should stick with the red icon.
  • edited April 30, 2014
    I agree. While I really like the monochrome styling (I don't use any add-ons with colorful icons), Zotero should follow the trend of other developers here.
  • It doesn't look like that's the general trend (so far at least) with other add-ons.
    Can you provide examples? Most extensions (including Zotero) had toolbar icons already. I'd guess that most just haven't been updated for Firefox 29.

We're really just following Mozilla's lead here. If you switch into Customize mode you can see all of the new Australis icons for both the toolbar and the menu panel, all of which are in monochrome with a particular gradient, which we've done our best to replicate. (Yes, some turn other colors in exceptional states, but they're all monochrome in their default states. We've actually discussed adding a red error icon to this icon to show sync errors when the Zotero pane is closed.)

I'm fairly skeptical of the monochrome icon trend in general — I think there are contexts where it makes a lot of sense (media viewers/editors) and others where it's detrimental to usability (most other places) — but when a platform sets a pretty clear aesthetic example, as Mozilla has done, I think being a good platform citizen might require following their lead.

For what it's worth, while we were working on this I mocked up a version with our red Z:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mddxnzkribrzxfy/zotero_z_red.png

I think it's pretty cute, but it doesn't seem particularly neighborly.
  • Can you provide examples? Most extensions (including Zotero) had toolbar icons already. I'd guess that most just haven't been updated for Firefox 29.
    Yes, I suspect that's the case as well. FWIW, here are the addons I use https://www.dropbox.com/s/80hsl31635hztba/firefox icons.png From left to right: Firebug, Live HTTP headers, FirePath, HostAdmin, Zotero, SQLite Manager, Modify Headers, AdBlock Plus.
    We've actually discussed adding a red error icon to this icon to show sync errors when the Zotero pane is closed.
    I think that would be very welcome. I feel like a lot of users have a hard time noticing sync errors.

I completely understand why you went with monochrome. I'm not a fan of monochrome trend either, since I find it less user friendly, which is why I wish Zotero would not follow it. Would obviously be nice to hear what other Zotero users think. Perhaps I'm the outlier here.
  • Yeah, pretty sure those all predate Fx29, but certainly we're an outlier in that set. I guess it remains to be seen whether the other big add-ons will be updating their icons to match the new look.

One other note, looking at your example, is that the shade and gradient of Mozilla's icons are different on different OSes, and our current one is apparently more faded than the Windows set, which isn't helping. Here's what it looks like on OS X:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lod1gc30usi817u/zotero_z_mono.png

(It's still slightly off, but we couldn't find any documentation on Mozilla's icons.)

It's also worth considering how many Zotero users actually have other add-ons installed. I'd guess that it's a pretty small minority (though maybe higher now that Standalone exists). Though, now that I mention it, I guess I'm not sure whether that's an argument for or against a monochrome icon.
    I'm not a fan of monochrome trend either, since I find it less user friendly, which is why I wish Zotero would not follow it.
    I'm actually more concerned with this question in terms of the Zotero toolbar, which obviously badly needs updating for the modern age (and high-res displays). We haven't decided what to do there, but I don't think the arguments in favor of monochrome icons apply particularly well to Zotero itself, since the "content" is less separable from the program itself. However, I think a web browser's toolbar can reasonably be put in the category of places where monochrome buttons make sense.

I think the best argument in favor of color is that Zotero is essentially a self-contained program within Firefox. In other words, even if an extension that just added a feature to the browser should probably follow the new look, something like Zotero shouldn't.
  • edited May 1, 2014
    One other note, looking at your example, is that the shade and gradient of Mozilla's icons are different on different OSes, and our current one is apparently more faded than the Windows set, which isn't helping
    I thought that was the case, but I also thought I was going crazy.
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fqo4a82m6ajv07/icons.png
    My example may be useful, includes Lastpass and Addblock icons, both red, on either side of Zotero (on Ubuntu). Before reading this thread, I actually assumed the Zotero one was grey because I have Standalone open, reverting to red when active.
  • Just wanted to say that I like the new icon and appreciate that zotero updated it so quickly. For my taste, the red Z posted by Dan is even nicer. Makes me look forward to an eventual update of the overall Zotero UI and toolbar.
  • What I would expect is that the Zotero icon becomes red if you click on it, i.e., if Zotero is "activated". As long as Zotero is in the lower part in the firefox (similar to firebug) or as a seperated tab, the icon should be red. As soon as you close Zotero, the icon should turn gray again. This would IMO be in the spirit of firebug or other extensions, (at least how they do it at the moment here in Win7).

In addition to some of the examples mentioned earlier I also have the following extensions: Citavi Picker icon, which is always colorful and GreaseMonkey icon, which is colorful if activated (seems to have some problem at the moment).