Editing Zotero Footnotes in Word 2011

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. Using Word 2011 Mac with Zotero Standalone and the Word 2011 connector.

I insert a footnote into the Word document using the Zotero connector menu bar (cite). Like magick it appears.

However, I cannot edit that footnote, it just highlights in the grey.

For instance, the style I'm using is close but not close enough, so I want to make a slight change to the style in the footnote, but it doesn't allow me. Is there a way around this?

In contrast, when I shift-drag a citation into Word from Zotero I can edit the footnote.
  • edited April 15, 2014
    See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage. The notes dragged from Zotero are just formatted text, while the ones that go grey when selected are generated by the plugin, and should be edited by Zotero itself, using the Edit Citation command in the toolbar or the Scripts menu.
  • I believe it's not possible to edit the first Zotero footnote in Word or something along those lines.
  • The original poster's problem might have been that pressing the delete key with the cursor to the right of a citation highlights and deletes the whole thing. Ideally you should be using the edit citation command as dunning suggests, and if you have to make an edit directly, you can click or use the left arrow key to position the cursor inside the citation. (There isn't much we can do about this; it's Word's behavior and not ours.)

adamsmith: There are apparently some circumstances where it's not possible to edit the first in-text citation in a footnote in Word for Windows, but I haven't reproduced this yet. That's probably not what this is about, though.