Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Hi,
The current version is compatible with Mac OS Mavericks?
Has anyone tested?
Thanks
  • No problems here so far.
  • Yes, it's compatible.
  • If you are using Zotero with LibreOffice then you will not be happy to hear this....

Apparently there were some issues about java and LO and Mavericks a week and while the LO Devs were chatting freely about major bugs in LO, no one bothered to mention that to users, and as it turns out LO requires 32 bit java and apparently there is no 32 bit java for Mavericks. While Zotero plugin does apparently immediately invoke java, there are some extension (like grammar checks) that apparently end up doing just that which crashes LO on invocation... Ta-Da! There is a way around that, but that still gets you a word processor that will crash if you look at the Zotero button.

Yes, I was bit as everything I had checked said all was green lights... but none of the green lights addressed other than the base product functionality - so, you can run zotero, Firefox, LibreOffice all on Mavericks.... but running them together.... well that will likely have to wait for a 32 bit Mavericks java solution(rofl) or a fix in LO 4.2 which may require some major rewrites...

Don't upgrade :-)
  • Spent some additional time beating LO up and can say the following:
    1) Apparently the OS prompted install of Apple Java did not "take"
    2) the LO prompts for install of Java apparently did not take.
    3) eventually I started an old java gpx app which prompted for an install of apple java and on that install, LO suddenly saw the Apple Java (which apparently still supports 32 bit operation) and all seemingly is now co-existing (the OS makes Apple Java 1.6 available, while the Browser (and CLI) employ the Oracle Java 1.7.

LO is unbundling a wiki publisher app that was causing some issues, but it would seem that may be unnecessary. The good news is that one can get LO 4.1.2.3 and Zotero working together on Mavericks with some patience. A key to that may be getting in to LO to turn off "use JVM" so that one turns it on only after LO can populate its list of choices of which JVM to use....

I have not tested use as against LO from the Standalone Zotero.
  • Hi,
    just an added complication. If I download maverick, my current microsoft office2004 will not work. I'm considering moving to open office, which apparently works fine in maverick, but would my zotero citations and bibliographies work if I open them in open office? I have some documents of over 300 pages...

Thank you,
    marta
  • if you just take the docs and open them in OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) the no, that will not work. You would have to find a way to open your document in Word once (on a different computer e.g.) and convert your citations to Bookmarks (under Set Document Preferences in the Word plugin). Then opening & using them in OpenOffice should work without problems.
  • Hi,
    thank you! ok, I'll give it a go... It's so scary!
    marta
  • well, you'll want to keep copies of the originals, of course.
  • Hi,
    I've started with the conversion on another computer that has microsoft professional plus 2010. I cannot see 'set document preferences'. I've tried to do it through file/info/properties/advanced properties - Zotero appears as part of those properties, but nothing to change it to html or a bookmark.
    On another part of the document, I can see how to turn 'word references' into endnote, to plain text, and others, but nothing to turn them to bookmarks.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
    marta
  • "Set Document Preferences" is part of the Zotero Word plugin:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
    you need to have Zotero and the Zotero Word plugin installed on the computer you're doing this on.
  • ah... ok, thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll install it.
    best wishes,
    marta
  • I have just bought my first mac and am in the process of changing from windows - which is a bit scary for a non technical person. At the moment I only have iworks as the word processor. I gather from the forums this does not work with zotero. Is it everyones advice that I install office for mac? Clearly all my docs are in word at the moment. Or is there some better option?
    Thanks
  • if that's an option then yes, Word for Mac is going to be by far the smoothest experience.
    The alternative would be to convert all documents to Bookmarks (under Set Document Preferences in the ZOtero Word plugin) on your Windows computer and then use LibreOffice on your Mac. Macing iWorks or Pages or so work with Zotero is not going to be a very happy experience.
  • thanks for the swift reply- it has saved me a lot of time!
  • Hi,
    so I've finally completed all the upgrade to Maverick and changed to open office.

I thought I'd provide a summary of what I did in case it is useful for someone else:
    So I was having problems with the computer - i've got a macbook pro and had snow leopard 10.6. I decided to upgrade to maverick but my word 2004 would not work with it.

Before downloading Maverick, in a windows computer with word 2011, I downloaded the zotero plug in for word 2011
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

In this one, I had to use zotero standalone.

I opened my 300+page-thesis with all the 1000+ references in word 2011. I changed from the set doc preferences from citations to bookmarks as adamsmith had suggested.*
    * What I found here is that my particular citation style (Chicago footnotes) would not allowed to do that. So I had to first change my citations to other format (I chose APA), then turn citations to bookmarks.

Back to my computer, I then downloaded the zotero plug-in for open office (same link). I opened the document I had transformed in word 2011 there. My citations were there. I changed back to Chicago. It worked although some of the citations had lost the format - E.g. some were showing '{Citation}' before the actual citation; others had been left with a single weird parenthesis before the citation. Not ideal, but not a disaster.

Then I updated to maverick. It is fine - though maverick is making my computer a bit slow - but that's another story...

The document is still the same, my citations are fine, and all my bibliography is still in firefox and open office recognises it fine - though with the little formatting problems that I had already.

Thanks adamsmith and everyone,
    take care,
    marta
  • I'm using mac OS 10.9.5 n zotero save icon isn't working , just appear "Zotero is online" any suggestion ? :(
  • @Audina--please start a new thread. There are no general issues with running Zotero on OSX 10.9, so we'd want to troubleshoot this specifically for you. Do test, though, if you get an active icon here:
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650
This discussion has been closed.