Rich Text in Titles

13»
  • edited December 12, 2011
    I don't think you're the standard case here.
    Granted. But I didn't say I was; just suggested there may be different opinions.
    And Ctrl/Cmd-I is hardly funky—it's pretty much universal in rich-text editors.
    I'm not talking about those, but the other cases (though why on earth is there a need for small caps; smalls caps that aren't actually even real small caps?).
  • I'm not talking about those, but the other cases
    OK. I agree with you there, which is why I suggested context menu options for super/sub. There's no particular harm in choosing some shortcuts for super/sub for power users, but I doubt they'd get much use.

Overall, though, I think Ctrl/Cmd-B and Ctrl/Cmd-I plus context menu options are an easy win over markup for general ease of use and discoverability.
  • edited December 12, 2011
    If these shortcuts and/or context menu options are implemented, will their use still insert the HTML-like tags around the selected text (as long as the field is active)? Or will you directly show the formatted text (which might be hard to do in the case of sub/superscript and small caps).
  • edited August 10, 2012
    smalls caps that aren't actually even real small caps
    If this is a reference to the non-standard markup citeproc-js uses for small caps, I agree that it should recognize <span style="font-variant:small-caps;">. That should be possible, as an alternative to the current shorthand markup. I'll take a look, if that's desired.

[Edit 2012-08-12: I finally got around to this; the "span" syntax suggested here is now recognized by citeproc-js - F.B.]
  • will you directly show the formatted text
    We'll show formatted text.
    which might be hard to do in the case of sub/superscript and small caps
    Why?
  • fbennett: I think Bruce was referring to the fact that small caps are often simulated, since most fonts don't have, as typography geeks would prefer, a separate set of small caps glyphs.
  • Uhh, I figured it might be hard to render. Maybe I spend too much time in plain text editors.
  • Just today discovered that formatting titles now works, great, and thanks devs! No more hand editing of the refs in Word. The present implementation comes with a drawback, though: Searching for titles (which I use quite often) requires that you format your search string, too. For example, the title stored as:

Nanosecond electron tunneling between the hemes in cytochrome <i>bo</i><sub>3</sub>

is not found if searching simply for, say, cytochrome bo3.

Any plans of introducing an option to ignore formatting in the search function? Or maybe it's there already, and I just haven't found it...
  • edited March 13, 2012
    Searching for titles (which I use quite often) requires that you format your search string, too. For example, the title stored as:
    that sounds like it should be fixed - ticket created
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/81
  • Where are the instructions for use Zotero in a manual form? Looking through all the posts is time-consuming and for many of us, time is money.

All I want to know is whether or not I can italicize a term, such a botanical name, in a an article or book title. There should be a quick way to do this. I don't see any way. Where are the instructions?
  • edited August 9, 2012
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/rich_text_bibliography

Fifth hit from the top, using the search box on the zotero.org front page and searching for "italics title".

First hit listed, using advanced search and selecting "Documentation".
  • That won't work for me. For someone with hundreds of references to format for botanical names, it's simply not efficient.
  • Sorry to hear that.
  • edited August 10, 2012
    (I don't really see how typing <i> </i> takes longer than selecting text and clicking "I" from a menu, though.)
  • (but a ctrl+i kb shortcut would be better)
  • Dan Stillman already agreed that keyboard shortcuts would be the way to go, but I don't think any work on it has been done. (it would make the life of biologists a lot nicer, though)

See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3875/rich-text-in-titles/?Focus=110229#Comment_110229
  • Hi everyone,

I've just been reading through this thread to work out how to put italics within journal article titles and just wanted to say that as an arts researcher with zero coding knowledge <i> </i> is absolutely fine for me, I just could have done with it being made obvious somewhere in the FAQs. Thanks for all the comments and useful info.
  • I came across https://github.com/mduvall/grande.js today. Perhaps something like this can be used to add rich text markup editing to the info pane?
  • edited May 15, 2015
    Is there a ticket for adding shortcuts to apply rich text to certain fields (italics, superscript, subscript, etc.)? I couldn't find one.

Working on a manuscript, and finding myself copy and pasting the HTML tags, which is harder than it should be.

The only thing I could find is https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/439