"error has occured" when adding a file from J-Stor

Hi

I got the message "An error has occured. Please restart Zotero" twice in repeated attempts to add this file: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20128797

Report ID: 382882548

Not sure what caused it so not sure how to reproduce. Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,
j
  • another error, third or fourth one today..
    Report ID: 982685480

It happened while adding a file from Safari and browsing through Zotero at the same time
  • Some more information: I have recently updated to Mac Standalone 4.0.11.
    Since then Zotero become unresponsive very frequently at different stages.

That is, I see the colourful rotating ball with Zotero using 99% cpu time and its modal windows stay up front while it doesn't react to any inputs for around 30 seconds. This happens sometimes twice within 5 minutes. It may happen when I create a new subcollection, when I add items to Zotero or while I edit notes.

It seems that as soon as Zotero becomes responsive again it syncs with my WebDAV. (So in a way I can see with the LittleSnitch network monitor when Zotero is ready to work again).
    Perhaps there is a problem with syncing or preparing to sync?

Thanks for your help.

Best
    J
  • "[JavaScript Error: "Invalid mod date 'undefined' for item 0_6SXJ5U4U" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/webdav.js" line: 110}]
    [JavaScript Error: "File '[...]' not found after processing download null/53ZCHJDN in Zotero.Sync.Storage.processDownload()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1252}]
    [JavaScript Error: "File '[...]' not found after processing download null/5847FS2S in Zotero.Sync.Storage.processDownload()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1252}]
    Are you running any sort of security software? If so, try disabling it. You're getting some strange errors.

If your Zotero data directory isn't on a local drive and is instead on a network drive, in Dropbox, etc., that could also be the problem.
  • Hi Dan,

thanks for your answer. Data directory is on a local drive outside dropbox.

I'm not sure what this security software could be.
    I do run some Chrome plugins (scriptsafe etc.) could that be the problem?

The issue of Zotero's 30sec freezes before syncing might be unrelated then (or would that too be related to Chrome plugins?)

I don't run a virus scanner etc.

J
  • You can try deleting the items mentioned in the error report (and then emptying the trash), but I'd guess that this is something on your system interfering with Zotero and that you might just have the same problem with other files. This isn't really something we see. I'm afraid I don't have any ideas of what could be causing it, though.