Iworks (pages) support

Are there plans or comments on the idea of supporting Apple's Iworks suite? It is actually more pleasant to use than Word these days.

Thx
  • I don't speak for Zotero, but a search in the archives would yield this.

I think the take-home is you need to talk to Apple about opening up their apps, and preferably about providing citation support within the OS.

FWIW, I think Pages shows some of the worst excesses of Apple: a focus on superficial aesthetics more than sound engineering. For example, unless I'm missing something (am I?), it doesn't even support style inheritance, which is an absolutely essential feature.
  • I'm not sure exactly what style inheritance is, but your assessment of Pages is basically correct. Still I like it better than either Word or OOo/Neo (which have their own defects, and how!) and would use it if it worked with Zotero. Maybe one day we'll have a word processor that works well with scholarly writing (and Zotero).

But more importantly, how can I get in touch with Apple to talk about OS-level citation support?
  • I'm not exactly sure of the best way to contact Apple. I did it through filing a bug report through their developer support. There are a few others options if you're not a developer.

Style inheritance is where you base styles on other styles. For example, you say the "Heading 1" style uses Helvetica, and all of your headings inherit from it. If you go back and change Helvetica to Lucida Grande in that top-level style, all the headings change as well.

This is a basic feature of any word processor and pretty essential for complex documents.