adding a collaborator after document already created

Hello, I am using Zotero with the Word plugin in a document I have already written.
I would like to enable another person in another location to edit the document including the citations without breaking any links to Zotero. that is, if she needs to fix a typo in an article title, I want her to be able to edit the citation in zotero and then refresh in the document and have that change appear.

If I create a group, and add the subcollection for that document to the group, and then add the new person, will that work? Or will the links in the document point to the subcollection not shared with the group?

Should I instead go into the document and change the citation format so as to store references in the document? Will that enable her to make edits in the references in Zotero?
  • Unfortunately I don't see how you could do that.
    Items in groups are currently separate from the (same) items in "My Library," so that won't work at all.

By storing references in the document, she will be able to work with the document and add citations, but she won't have those items in her database and can't change them. She _can_ change them in the document, but those changes would be lost if you would e.g. change the citation style.
  • Ok..

But if we now have the same list of references in the shared library that are in my unshared libary too, can she make edits by re-inserting them (edited) from the shared library? and then we will both be working from the same references for any edits we make going forward?

If I'm understanding this correctly, when she finds a typo, she can "add citation" and reenter the citation(corrected) via Zotero and delete the old citation?
  • If I'm understanding this correctly, when she finds a typo, she can "add citation" and reenter the citation(corrected) via Zotero and delete the old citation?
    yes, that'll work.
  • Okay, my collaborator says "i can only see your library in a separate window. it's not in my zotero library. how do i transfer it there?"
  • I don't know what she means by "separate window" unfortunately. She needs to join the group and then sync and it will show up below her library in here local version of Zotero.
    If that doesn't help, it'd be preferable for her to post herself so we don't troubleshoot this through an intermediary.
  • yes, i'm the editor/dufus. i saw the sync button when i initially joined the group but clicked off the box cuz i wasn't sure what it would sync exactly. now i can't find a sync button in either the group library or my own. sorry to be a pain...
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/sync

only look at the Data Syncing part, everything else is irrelevant for you at the moment.
    The sync icon - the green round arrow - will _not_ be on your library view on zotero.org
    It's at the top right of your local version of Zotero, i.e. either the Firefox add-on (after opening it by clicking on "Zotero" at the bottom right of your Firefox browser), or Zotero Standalone
  • ok, got it. thanks!