Chicago style incorrect

Hey there. First of all, I LOVE Zotero. It's seriously been a great tool to use in my graduate papers!

I just wanted to let you know that I think the Chicago style is incorrect. Unless the rules have changed since i got my manual of style (which wouldn't make me happy...) then chapters cited from multiauthor collections must be formated like so:

(Author). (Title of Essay), in (title of collection), ed. (editor's or editors' name(s)), (pages). (place): (press), (date).

Currently Zotero's Chicago style with Bibliography leaves out the citation of the editor's name. This happens in both the footnotes and the bibliography, and it should be included in both. The Citation in the Manual of Style is 17.69 and i'm using the 15th edition, just for reference.
  • edited February 12, 2008
    Currently Zotero's Chicago style with Bibliography leaves out the citation of the editor's name. This happens in both the footnotes and the bibliography, and it should be included in both.
    Please check that you have creator type set correctly for your editors in Zotero--book editors were always included in chapter citations.

Formatting for editors in bibliographic references for chapters was incorrect however--thanks for letting us know. This is now fixed--please download updated Chicago Note with Bibliography and Chicago Full Note with Bibliography styles in the Dev Styles section at http://www.zotero.org/styles/
  • I too love Zotero!

But... I can't get the chicago styles to display volume numbers in footnotes or bibliography. is there some way to fix this?

Also: it would be great if Zotero could implement the ---. for repeated authors in the bib. Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

s
  • Volume numbers are already included--can you send me the citation you're trying to display?
  • Here goes:

Benjamin, Walter. “On the Concept of History.” In Selected Writings. Edited by Eiland, Howard and Michael W. Jennings. Translated by Edmund Jephcott, 389-400. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 2003.

(For some reason, this citation also seems to reverse the first editor's name. A buggy citation?)

I looked at another recent discussion on this topic (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2099/): perhaps the problem here is that I'm citing materials from within the volumes and not the volumes themselves. Maybe I should just treat the volume numbers as part of the title in this case.

many thanks for your help!
  • edited February 13, 2008
    Thanks for reporting the volume issue. This is now fixed--please download updated styles in the Dev Styles section at http://www.zotero.org/styles/

The editor error had been fixed a few iterations ago--you must have an old style.
    I looked at another recent discussion on this topic (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2099/): perhaps the problem here is that I'm citing materials from within the volumes and not the volumes themselves. Maybe I should just treat the volume numbers as part of the title in this case.
    The discussion on that forum was about citing a multivolume collection in a footnote--in that case you'd have to enter the volume number manually with the page number. If you're citing a chapter in a single volume the citation should be generated automatically.

Anyway, I'm still not sure I've set this up correctly--if there are more errors please let me know.
  • Thanks for the development!
  • The updated styles are now public and will get pushed automatically to Zotero clients. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs (even though that pref only mentions translators).
  • edited February 14, 2008
    Also: it would be great if Zotero could implement the ---. for repeated authors in the bib. Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong?
    This was a bug, now fixed on the dev build; the fix will be available in 1.0.4 release.
  • It seems that Chicago style adds and extra space before the "trans." and ".ed"

I also can't get the bibliography to automatically "———" a repeated author's name.
  • It seems that Chicago style adds and extra space before the "trans." and ".ed"
    Can you give me an example?
    I also can't get the bibliography to automatically "———" a repeated author's name.
    This is fixed in the dev build and will be available in Z 1.0.4
  • Sure, here is a footnote using CMS Fullnote with Bibliography (dev): [This is cut and pasted, but underscores added to denote italics.]

Fredric Jameson, “Periodizing the Sixties,” in _The 60s Without Apology_, ed. Sohnya Sayres (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1984), 179-80.

It seems that there are two spaces between the comma and ".ed"--the same happens with ".trans."

many thanks.
  • thanks--this is now fixed in the dev note styles.
  • The only part of Chicago style that I find lacking is doing a collected works. Right now, the "book section" option is the closest, but it ends up coming out with:

Duns Scoti, B. Ioannis. “Quaestiones in Libros Perihermenias Aristotelis.” In Opera Philosophica, edited by R. Andrews, G. Etzkorn, G. Gál, R. Green, T. Noone, R. Plevano, et al., 2: Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America, 2004.

This makes “Quaestiones in Libros Perihermenias Aristotelis.” look like an article, but its not- its a work of its own, just within a larger volume.

The relevant information in CMS in the fifteenth edition is 17.72.

The latest version to which I have full access is the thirteenth edition, which says:
    "If the part is an entity in itself -- such as a play or long poem -- both titles are italicized."

[I first posted this in its own discussion, but it may fit better here.]
  • I am still getting the two spaces before "edited by" in the CMS bibliography generated through the Word plugin. Using the latest development build of Zotero. Example:

Behrens-Abouseif, Doris. “The Political Situation of the Copts, 1798-1923.” In Christians and Jews in the Ottoman Empire: The Functioning of a Plural Society, edited by Benjamin Braude and Bernard Lewis, 1:185-205. New York: Holmes & Meier Publishers, 1982.

I thought this was fixed in the output style? Still happening in my biblio, though doesn't appear to be in my notes.
  • edited April 30, 2008
    I am still getting the two spaces before "edited by" in the CMS bibliography generated through the Word plugin.
    This should now be fixed in the dev styles. Thanks.
  • Reviving this topic.
    There are still many issues with Zotero and CMS. My advisor is noting way too many in my dissertation draft. I'm really disappointed because now I have to go through hundreds of pages to correct each one.

The biggest problem I'm noticing occurs in citing interviews that I have conducted.
    CMS says that the date and LOCATION should be noted. CMS 12.211 says, "Citations should include the names of both the person interviewed and the interviewer; brief identifying information, if appropriate; the place or date of the interview (or both, if known); and, if a transcript or recording is available, where it may be found."

Their example: Benjamin Spock, interview by Milton J. E. Senn, November 20, 1974, interview 67A, transcript, Senn Oral History Collection, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD.

What I actually get in my document for interviews that I have conducted (and therefore have no archive line where a location would go):
    My Name, My Subject's Name, October 24, 2017

In places where there are subsequent citations it only lists my last name.
    This is a problem because I have other interviews, so the subsequent entry needs to retain the subject's name as it would a book title.
  • edited January 11, 2020
    This is mostly an issue of entering your data in the correct way.
    Item Type: Interview
    Interview with: Spock || Benjamin
    Interviewer: Senn || Milton J. E.
    Date: November 20 1974
    Medium: Transcript
    Archive: National Library of Medicine
    Loc. in Archive: interview 67A, Senn Oral History Collection

Then, in Extra, enter:
    Archive place: Bethesda, MD

That will yield:
    Spock, Benjamin. Interview by Milton J. E. Senn. Transcript, November 20, 1974. Interview 67A, Senn Oral History Collection. National Library of Medicine. Bethesda, MD.

Move "transcript" to the beginning of the "Loc. in Archive" field if you want the date to come before it.