How to move Zotero from Firefox to Chrome browser?

I currently have Zotero in my Firefox browser; however, I am beginning to use Chrome as my default browser. How do I move my Zotero file into Chrome?
  • first of all, note that the standalone is in its _alpha_ version. It's really unwise to rely on alpha software for actual research and your research database.

That said, you can just install the standalone and it will ask you whether to associate with the existing Zotero library in FF.
  • When is the next release due? I'm very interested in this as well. I really dislike Firefox - and don't even want it on my MBP if it can be helped. The stand alone is an excellent idea - and the ability to perform the functions I'm reading about with other browsers, i.e. Safari or Chrome - will really make this an appealing tool - at least in my opinion. Right now its biggest weakness is a marriage to Firefox. Again - in my opinion.
  • the next alpha is probably going to come out soon - within weeks - but how long it is going to take until the standalone is in a stable beta is pretty unpredictable - it depends, among other things, how busy devs are going to be with other things, how many unforeseen issues come up in alpha testing etc.

Zotero has a new community lead so both Blog and Twitter have been markedly revived (yay!), if you follow either of them (i.e. @zotero on Twitter or http://www.zotero.org/blog/ ) you'll hear about major new releases.
  • We're aiming for beta in June and final in September.
  • edited April 25, 2011
    I'm pleased to read this and hope it is still on track for this timeline. I love Zotero but spend my life in Chrome not Firefox so find it a real hassle. Fabulous product. Keep up the good work.
  • Tip for people who use Chrome for browsing: you can have your main library in Firefox and use the Chrome connector to be able to save stuff right from Chrome into Firefox.

See this kb article.
  • Sometimes, i would like to add one book into my database in zotero, but failed.

Does zotero only support a few websites? for example, amazon ?
  • Zotero supports thousands of websites.

On topic: I've written a brief blog post on the option I mentioend above: how to connect Chome with Zotero (in Firefox).
  • Mark: I am having trouble of the simplest sort. I have read your blog, and you tell me to install the chrome connector. I have been using Chrome for a few days now, and it is very fast, and works much better than firefox. I am sad, but I must leave ff behind. I can not however find any instructions on how to install your extension, or another into Chrome. I find instructions on how to go to the Chrome app store and use their tools to install extensions, but for an app not there... Well I am stuck. And I feel I am very good with computers, but apparently not good enough. Please, can you help?
  • As with most things, as soon as I asked, I figured it out.
  • I do want to reiterate, that the above link does not contain instructions for installing the connector into Chrome.
  • Clicking on the link for the Chrome connector while you're using Chrome is all you need to do.
  • Hope I found the right thread searching the discussion fora. I am looking forward to the release of Zotero 3 but a bit confused - and there has been no updates to news release page since Sept.

1. Is the next Zotero a stand alone app on my computer that works with any browser or is it tied to a browser and I will be able to choose Chrome or Safari?
    2. Do I have to migrate my current database and links over to the new application?
    3. Can I test Zotero 3 without it interfering with my current Firefox version 2? That is can the version 3 see my firefox database without me migrating it over. I will not migrate until you guys say it is safe to do so for research etc as this is a critical application for me

Apologies if this is not the right thread
  • 1) Any supported browser. This includes Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
    2) This is done automatically. You can even use standalone and firefox plugin in parallel.
    3) Yes. You can do that by setting up a new firefox profile. There are probably instructions on this site for how to do this, but if not, Firefox documentation will definitely have this information.
  • Stan: You don't need a separate profile if you want to try the Standalone version. 3.0 doesn't upgrade anything, and when you first start Standalone it will detect your existing library and ask if you want it to use that. If you're using 2.1.10, you should close Firefox first, though. (Zotero 3.0 for Firefox can be used simultaneously and will automatically switch into a lightweight mode when Standalone is open.)