Major compatibility problem between standalone and Word

Hello. When I open a Word document, the Zotero toolbar (add citation, edit citation, etc.) is at first responsive, then becomes completely unresponsive after I open another document or try to edit a citation in an document prepared with previous version of Zotero.

I was having this problem and have just reinstalled all 3 elements for Standalone, and restarted the computer, but exactly the same problem recurs: the Word plugin seems to be working (I get the dialogue box to choose document style and am allowed to choose a source; but when I hit enter, the error message appears: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document". The toolbar then becomes completely unresponsive.

Zotero 3.0b2 for Firefox
Zotero Standalone 3.0b2.1 for Windows
Zotero 2.1 word processor plugins

I am running Firefox 6.0.2 and Windows 7 Home Premium, version 6.1

All my sources are in place and fine in the Standalone; but I cannot use the Zotero plugin functions in Word.
  • Ok, further to above message, I've noticed that theproblem completely disappears when I close the standalone version and just use the Firefox pane version of Zotero. Hope that helps.
  • And further further, the problem is resolved when I use the Standalone so long as Firefox is not open.
  • The processing of switching between Standalone and standard Zotero is probably not quite perfect yet-- I'll just recommend you use only one at a time for now. Simon has been working on making the switch smooth, but picking one and sticking with it should work fine. Also note that you can use standard Zotero inside Firefox with the Chrome and Safari connectors: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/httpserver_enabled
  • I have similar problems switching between Standalone and Standard in Firefox -- if I've had them both going, often the save icon fails to show up in the address bar, or citations in Word documents are disconnected from Zotero. I have to shut down both Standalone and Zotero and restart one to get everything to work again.
    (Standalone and Standard each has its own advantages and disadvantages, which is why I sometimes end up switching in midstream.)
  • Microsoft Word integration with Standalone or FF, but not both in the same document

Error ID:662058670
    Error ID: 1248017407

FF: v8 Zotero 2.1.10
    Microsoft Word 2007
    Windows 7 Home premium
    Zotero standalone 3.0b2.1

I discovered that Word works happily with both Firefox and Standalone, but not in the same document. If I delete all references made by standalone, I can then use FF, or vice verse.

If I insert a FF citation, then close FF and Word, then load Word and standalone, I can insert a second citation using Standalone. But inserting that standalone citation makes it impossible to go back to FF citations.

The error messages I receive are listed above. I have gotten another one also, but regrettably did not record it.

Love the standalone concept btw, since it so easily allows work offline. But FF add-on functionality is still the best:)

As always, Zotero team is absolutely impressive:)

I can also send Javascript errors if desired.
  • that's known - if you're going to use Standalone you should also use the beta version of Zotero for Firefox (3.03b).
    It's probably possible to make 2.1 for FF and 3.0 standalone work together, but that's not recommended either way.
  • Thank you Adam. I will upgrade FF.
  • This is intended behavior if you have the "Store references in document" option checked, as the text below it states. It is checked by default for documents created with Standalone, but it shouldn't be checked for older documents.