Google Docs integration v2 not working in Chrome

edited August 29, 2022
I tried the beta connector, but I get the following error if I try to update citations in a google doc I previously created:

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading '33')
at Object.injectScripts (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:327:45)
at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:266:36"]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: 500: Google Docs request failed.

{
"error": {
"code": 500,
"message": "Internal error encountered.",
"status": "INTERNAL"
}
}

at Object.getDocument (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero-google-docs-integration/api.js:232:12)" {file: "[object Object]"}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading '45')
at Object.injectScripts (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:327:45)
at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:266:36"]

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm on a mac environment, on m1 processor.
  • There is no Beta connector for Google Chrome. Either way, what you're seeing is due to using the V2 Google Docs integration. You can disable that in Connector Preferences -> Advanced. It's a google docs bug that we're waiting for them to resolve so that we can switch all users to the V2 integration since it's faster, especially in big documents.
  • edited August 29, 2022
    Thanks, I know that. I activated it because the Zotero team has announced that the new connector was available for beta testing in all browsers, including Chrome. Maybe I misunderstood what they said, but they seemed to be asking users to see if it works with big docs.
  • Right. So Zotero Connector is the browser extension, and there is a Beta version of it for firefox. Both the regular version and beta version of the connector include the experimental Google Docs integration (a Google Docs Beta), labeled v2 in the preferences.

At this point we know that on some documents it does not work because of a Google Docs bug. It generally works in new documents, but then breaks due to some unknown reason. If you are able to find steps to reproduce this breakage in a new document, please post them here as they may help us in getting Google to fix this sooner. Otherwise if you're getting errors with the v2 integration you should not use it.
  • To clarify, the "Zotero Connector" is the browser extension itself. This is just about Google Docs integration v2, which is available for beta testing in the release (non-beta) version of the connector for all browsers.
  • Thanks for clarifying this, I changed the title of the thread accordingly.
    @adomasven : I tried to create a new document but it works fine after adding a dozen citations.
    For the moment I'll just use the old version. Hope you find out the problem soon – the new version is great, it's a lot faster.