Error 429 Resource has been exhausted for large Google Doc file for Mac Chrome

Report ID: 1937425888
D149770166

I assembled one file from many smaller Google Doc files. No comments or suggestions. Some of the citations became unlinked (I now realize it was because I had shared 3 of the smaller files with non-Zotero users). I had already made changes in the assembled file, so I began began re-linking the citations, which was taking forever because there were 100+ unlinked of 500+ total. I went to dinner. When I came back, I got Error 429 "Resource has been Exhausted." I rebooted Chrome. I rebooted Zotero. Same error. I made sure they were both up to date. I copied the file and ensured it was shared with both of my accounts. Same error. I cut and pasted the file into a new document. Same error. Deleted bibliography, auto update was already disabled. Quit Zotero and Chrome and restarted. Error 429. Refreshed file.

Then it started worked. I relinked ~5 citations. The sixth did not work: the red Zotero bar wouldn't appear. When I tried to report, it wouldn't log anything (Report ID: 116769847). I quit Chrome and Zotero and reopened. Now back to Error 429. I can neither relink broken links nor edit existing ostensibly linked ones. All Error 429. And when I try to log errors, there's nothing there (Debug ID D539757244 / Report ID 1538408036).

I didn't do anything other than go to dinner when it stopped working. I've done all the things I did to make to start working again.

Of course this book manuscript is due tomorrow. Of course a large file with many citations is slow, that I knew. But I didn't realize it would exhaust resources and make it impossible to switch word processors to Microsoft Word (Mac).

Any help much appreciated; thank you for all the work that you do.

• Update: It started working again for a while and let me replace all but ~12 of the unlinked citations. Those all give the 429 error. I quit Chrome and Zotero and reopened the file. The "broken links" symbol did not appear with the list of broken links. Now, when I try to edit any existing link, I get 429. When I try to insert a new citation, I get "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?" (D542306764). I get the same error when I try to insert the bibliography.
  • Still trying to insert a bibliography or even just get the Broken Links symbol to appear. D2055783222
  • All the spaghetti on the wall, or just being patient, and another attempt to edit a citation pulled it up in the red bar and the “broken links” icon and list appeared. Fixed them all.

Tried to reinsert the bibliography: it is slowly flipping through the document, about one pass per hour. I started at 7:50am and it’s 12:10pm and it’s still generating the bibliography, now on its fourth iteration. Red zotero bar is in the background. How will I know if Z really loves me?