Add Note From Annotations Page Numbers Incorrect

edited March 29, 2022
In Zotero 6.0.4 on the Mac, when I highlight a PDF and use "Add Note From Annotations" the page numbers of the annotation appear to start from 1 instead of from the actual page numbers used in the article. Given that many articles' page numbers don't start with 1 but instead are based on where they are located within the particular journal issue, these page numbers are misleading/wrong. The page numbers should be based on what they would be in a correct citation.
  • The extracted annotations had the correct page numbers from this article: Sparviero, S. (2019). The case for a socially oriented business model canvas: The social enterprise model canvas. Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, 10(2), 232–251. https://doi.org/10.1080/19420676.2018.1541011

But from this article, the extracted annotations had the wrong page numbers (started with page 1 instead of with page 1063: Stubbs, W. (2019). Strategies, practices, and tensions in managing business model innovation for sustainability: The case of an Australian BCorp. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 26(5), 1063–1072. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1786

Both articles were annotated using the built-in Zotero PDF reader.
  • Zotero tries to detect the page number, but if it doesn't, you can change it by double-clicking on the page number in the annotation widget or selecting Edit Page Number from the three-dots menu.

I can't access the second PDF at the moment, but if it has visible page number we can see if we're able to better detect them.

"Add Note from Annotations" doesn't use the Pages field at all, if that's what you're referring to. We could consider using that, though figuring out how the interaction between that and automatic page number detection or a manual page number change might be a little tricky.
  • Ok, thanks for the tip on how to manually update the page number.
  • The old Zotfile "Extracted Annotations" feature properly detected and showed the article's page numbers in the links to annotations. For example: (Grada 1991:536). Clicking this link opened the pdf to the article's page 536, which was actually the pdf's logical page 2.

I agree with @kevintaylor: "The page numbers should be based on what they would be in a correct citation." It can be done.
  • @-william- Please send us the PDF file if you think it had a correct page number when using Zotfile but now doesn't have in Zotero 6. You can send it to support@zotero.org also including a link to this thread.
  • I am having a similar problem, but Im looking at the extracted annotaitons note. The page numbers also began at 1, instead of the proper number. I can neither edit it by hand nor is it feasible to hand edit all 100 annotations. Please advise.

Additionally, I would like to know how to unlock annotations in the side bar of the pdf after having exported the annotations.
  • @garrettmaxwell23: File → Import Annotations in the PDF reader, and then you can adjust the page numbers from the annotations sidebar all at once.

If you have a PDF where the page numbers weren't detected correctly, email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • @-william- Could you make a screenshot demonstrating that Zotero PDF reader has an incorrect page number, because we can't reproduce that with the PDF you provided.
  • @kevintaylor Could you send us the PDF file from https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1786 , because the version I can access actually has page numbers starting from 1. You can send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • @-william- We still can't reproduce the issue. Most likely the highlights were made some time ago. Do you still get an incorrect page number if you create a new highlight in the same page?
  • edited April 9, 2022
    @martynas_b Interesting. If I add a new highlight to the same page, I get the article's correct page number, not the logical page number.

I tested annotations in five (5) pdfs, which included the pdf I sent you. All annotations were made in Acrobat Pro DC (22.1.20085.0); MacOS 12.3.1; Zotero 6.0.4. Annotations were extracted using the Zotero “Add Note from Annotations,” and also the Zotfile (5.0.16) “Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations.”

For the most part, correct page numbers or the undesirable logical page numbers were displayed depending on whether or not the article's correct page range is included in the Pages field.

TEST RESULTS

For annotations in three (3) of the five pdfs, the results were:

1. Include article's page range in Pages field:
    - select "Add Note from Annotations," got article's correct page numbers
    - select "Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations," got article's correct page numbers

2. Pages field left blank
    - select "Add Note from Annotations," got article's correct page numbers
    - select "Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations," got logical page numbers

This suggests it might be best to select "Add Note from Annotations" to get the article's correct page numbers, whether the Pages field is filled or left blank. However, for two (2) of the five pdfs, the same procedure produced different results suggesting "Add Note from Annotations" is not the solution, and neither is "Extract Annotations":

1. Include article's page range in Pages field:
    - select "Add Note from Annotations," got different results for each pdf:
    - got logical page numbers
    - got a mix of correct and logical page numbers (the pdf I sent you)
    - select "Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations," got same results for each:
    - got correct page numbers

2. Pages field left blank:
    - select "Add Note from Annotations," got different results for each pdf:
    - got a mix of correct and logical numbers (the pdf I sent you)
    - select "Manage Attachments > Extract Annotations," got the same results for
    each pdf:

The article’s correct page numbers should always be cited (shown) in the annotation links, not the logical page numbers.
  • edited April 9, 2022
    william: Please edit your comment to remove the issues unrelated to this topic and start new threads for those. Those are just derailing this thread.
  • edited April 9, 2022
    If you can currently reproduce a problem with a given PDF, we'll need a copy of the PDF. If you can no longer reproduce the problem, it's not relevant.
    I agree with @kevintaylor: "The page numbers should be based on what they would be in a correct citation." It can be done.
    suggesting "Add Note from Annotations" is not the solution
    The article’s correct page numbers should always be cited (shown) in the annotation links, not the logical page numbers.
    You can stop with this. Obviously "Add Note from Annotations" is intended to extract the correct page number, and it does for us with the PDF you sent us. If you can reproduce a problem currently, provide the PDF and exact steps to reproduce it, and we'll do our best to reproduce and fix it.
  • @dstillman got you; edited; sorry.

I'll get the pdfs I tested, and send to support. Do you agree the way to reproduce the problems is to do what I did. For each pdf: 1. include correct page numbers in Pages field; "Add Note from Annotations," see results; "Extract Annotations," see results; then 2. leave Pages field blank; "Add Note" and "Extract," see results?
  • edited April 9, 2022
    The test is to make a new annotation in the PDF and then look at the detected page number in either Zotero's PDF reader or the note via Add Note from Annotations. (The latter just shows the same page numbers visible in the PDF reader, so this isn't really about Add Note from Annotations itself — the page detection is a separate process.)

If you were using the Zotero beta previously, old annotations previously detected by Zotero aren't relevant, since Zotero's page detection has improved. I don't believe it has changed since the Zotero 6.0 release.

The Pages field isn't relevant — Zotero's PDF page detection doesn't use that.

Extract Annotations also isn't relevant — we're just debugging Zotero's PDF page detection here, and Extract Annotations was removed in ZotFile. (I assume you're running a modified version of ZotFile, or testing with a Zotero 5 install, since 5.0.16 wasn't marked as compatible with Zotero 6.) ZotFile (only?) used the Pages field, so its results aren't particularly interesting. As I say above, we could consider incorporating the Pages field into Zotero's page detection as a fallback, though we'd have to decide how to resolve conflicts.
  • Just sent you the pdfs. I understand your focus is Add Note from Annotations, it’s part of Zotero 6, after all. I am using a modified version of Zotfile, and I only used it for comparison purposes. (I also like some of its features, but that is another discussion). I just want to be able to annotate pdfs in or outside of Zotero, and extract the annotations in Zotero with the article’s correct page numbers, not the pdf’s logical pages.

The Pages field is having an effect on the output of the annotation page numbers.

Thanks for helping,
  • edited April 9, 2022
    The Pages field is having an effect on the output of the annotation page numbers.
    No, it's not — not when using Add Note from Annotations, which is the only thing relevant here. Because, as I say, we don't use that field. And your own examples show this.

ZotFile was using that field — and possibly not doing anything else, which is why your ZotFile examples just show an offset from Pages when it was set and numbers starting from when 1 when it was blank. And that's why ZotFile's results really aren't interesting. Zotero tries to detect the page number even when Pages isn't set, so you get correct page numbers regardless of the metadata.

We'll look at the PDFs you sent — thanks.
  • edited April 9, 2022
    -william-: So for the two PDFs you sent that you said were incorrect, the 1990 one isn't being detected properly for me.

The 1991 one is correct for me, as it was for Martynas. I'm not sure what the history of that item is in your library, but I think you'll find that if you just drag a copy of the PDF to Zotero again as a new attachment, the pages will be detected properly. There's no reason you should get a different result.

So Zotero just isn't properly detecting the page numbers in the 1990 PDF. We'll try to fix that.

Again, none of this has anything to do with the Pages field, which Zotero doesn't use.
  • @dstillman Thank you. I added a copy of the 1991 pdf as a new attachment, and the pages were detected properly.

Also, thank you for working on a fix for the problem presented with the 1990 pdf. It feels like this issue with instances of annotation links showing the pdf's logical pages instead of its correct pages is on the way to resolution.
  • I have the same issue.

Some PDFs have the correct page number, but most of them starts at 1.

I have edit the page number manually in the sidebar, but that dosen't seem to help it width the PDFs that don't work.
  • @Nicolajsveiger Could we see a few example PDFs with incorrect page numbers? If so please send them to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.

Normally, if you change annotation page number, then new annotations get the relative page number.
  • edited July 23, 2023
    This is still a problem in Zotero 7 beta 22.

Both the recognition and the page number should be used. Conflicts should be resolved as follows: If the recognition does not assign "1" to the first PDF page it should be used; if recognition assigns "1" to the first PDF page and so does the page number, recognition should be used; BUT if recognition assigns "1" to the first PDF page but the page number *does not* assign "1", then the page number should be used.

This would ensure that PDFs without accurate page numbers default to recognition, but PDFs with accurate page numbers do not. The exception case will be PDFs that do start at "1" but which recognition for some reason mistakes, which is a reasonable trade off for getting every case where recognition is wrong but the page numbers are right correct.

This is the main functionality of zotero for me, so I would very much love an update that fixes the issue. Unreliable page numbers make the annotation extraction difficult to use for its developed purpose.
  • I'm having the same issue currently (on Zotero 6.0.29). I've made annotations outside of Zotero and am using the "Add Note from Annotations" feature, but am getting wrong page numbers in the annotations for several PDFs. I'm sure recognition can be a great feature for certain use cases, but I would love a way to manually switch to using the Pages field instead (or a conflict rule as @pbhope suggested above). Thank you for your work!