Journal Abreviations

Over 98 % of the references loaded in my zotero database do not have the "Journal Abbreviation" field populated. This is a big problem when using zotero to create the bibliography in a manuscript.

Any help?
  • not currently, no. longterm it is planned to create journal abbreviations along with the style, but that is rather distant - I'd be surprised if it happened in less than 12 months.
    (search the forum for relevant threads).

Not much Zotero can do about the lack of journal abbreviations - that really depends on the database zou imported from.
  • Thank you for the response. The references I have in zotero are all obtained online (not from any other reference manager database). It seems to me that while some sites provide the abbreviation, some do not.

In any case, would it be possible to have an internal database of journal names and their officially accepted abbreviations so that zotero can populate the abbreviation field by looking it up? Such a list is available online and I don't know how easy or difficult such an undertaking would be. If there is any way I could volunteer I would be glad to help (if I were told what to do).
  • that's exactly what's being discussed. The problem is how exactly it's implemented - as you note correctly, lists like this already exist. My sense is that this is still some ways out there - maybe about a year?
  • Thanks. I found that there are discussions going on about this issue. Hopefully it won't take as long as you predict :)