APA 6th ed. Format for dissertation and thesis not correct.

The output for an APA reference for dissertations and theses is not correct according to APA 6th ed.

The title should be italicized (This is correct), but within the same line, without a period or comma delimiter, the type of document is regular, romanized font

(e.g., ... Building a foundation for evaluation of instruction in higher education and continuing education (Doctoral dissertation)...)

There's also the need for a field for the "accession or order number in parantheses at the end". None of the current Zotero 2.x fields output this kind of field.

What would it take to have this reference type work to specs?

Thanks
  • As much as I love the ease of use of Zotero, I won't be using it much until the APA format issues are worked out. I am new to APA formatting and was relying on Zotero for the proper formatting. After 2 research papers received poor marks for APA format, for my last paper, I generated the bibiography once again in Zotero and then spent 2 days correcting 5 pages of references manually -- all while trying to figure out the new 6th edition. In the interest of time, I won't be using Zotero to generate my bibliograph for my upcoming papers, but I'll be staying tuned to see that all/most of the kinks are worked out.
    I still like zotero, otherwise, though.
  • Ask your professors what they were not marking while they were marking the minutiae of your referencing style...
    (surely the content is the important part!)
    http://www.doceo.co.uk/reflection/2009/04/on-shibboleth-of-harvard-referencing.htm

(sorry just a personal rant)

I imagine the 6th edition will be supported sometime soon...
  • I agree -- not just your personal rant, it's my rant as well. :) It's something like 30% of my grade -- ugh. Actually, I'm still using zotero right now, as a matter of fact -- as a repository, then generating one bibliography at a time as I use the cite in my paper by saving it to the clipboard and then pasting it to my References -- then I make sure it's properly formatted now instead of waiting until my paper is due to fix all the references. I have to say, though, that having to dig through the APA 6th ed did help me. Now I ignore fields in zotero that I'm not supposed to have in my references and r I'm really careful of how I'm entering in citations, but, for the most part, I'm having to do a lot of manual fixes, because I use a lot of journal and doi entries.

thanks for the rant, though -- you justified how I feel about it!
  • These post are all from 2009...I'm still having the same issue...is this going to be fixed???
  • which problem in particular?
    Amengual, M. (2010). The Politics of Labor and Environmental Regulation in Argentina: Constructing State-Society Relations for Effective Implementation (Phd Dissertation). MIT, Cambridge, MA.

Is the current output and that looks correct to me.
  • The only words that should be capitalized (according to my professor) are the 1st word, 1st word after a colon, and proper names.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sentence_casing (so data is entered incorrectly for the example I give above - I never use APA, so for me that doesn't matter)
  • Thanks...I do use APA...so it does matter to me...and my professor! :)