Zotero subgroups

I've looked through other threads, but I haven't seen this specific question - is it possible to create subgroups with different members/permissions from the main group?
note that I don't mean collections. for instance, let's say I work at a research center. I would like to create one group for the whole research center, with subgroups according to topic. research group A, for instance, should not have access to research group B's subgroup/collections and vice versa.
I would like to have everyone in one master group for the sake of the few shared collections there are and for the sake of organization. is this possible?
  • Subgroups as a concept don't exist, but I don't think I understand how a "subgroup" would be different from a separate group?

In other words, why can't you just invite everyone to Group A, one subset of people to group B, another subset to group C, etc.?
  • The administration of the groups would be much easier, if you would be able to implement hierarchical access rights. For example, our group has some external collaborators, that we want to share the project-specific collections, but not with the whole working-groups collection. If I have two groups, I would need to add new working-group members in all different groups, otherwise I would just add her to the "root-group". So I would also vote for subgroups, or -- alternatively, that existing groups can be given access-rights to other groups.