[MacOS Beta] Feedback on minor issues on PDF reader

edited May 6, 2021
I've been trying the PDF reader for a while now. Here's a list of minor (almost insignificant) issues about the PDF reader. I put them here in case they may be useful for developers.

- [most annoying for me] every few seconds, zotero syncs to servers. When this happens, the whole toolbar at the top (from which one accesses the highlight function, etc.) moves to the left, then goes back to the right. This is very distracting for me. I'd much prefer having no animation for syncing at all (I don't need to be reminded that syncing happens every 5 seconds) – or, at least, having an animation that does not make the whole toolbar at the top move.
- the highlight colour is a bit too dark (I struggle to read over green and blue)
- I know this may be difficult to introduce, but not having a CMD+Z (Undo) command is a pain. Highlighting PDF inevitably involves making mistakes. As Zotero introduces more editing functions of this sort, having an immediate command for undoing mistakes becomes more and more useful, I believe
- if you right-click on text, a contextual menu opens up, which includes the command "Add a Note". However, this command is always greyed-out. I wonder if this is intentional, or a bug. And I wonder how it differs from [left-click]>[add comment]
- The sidebar on the right is useful, especially its "Show annotations" function. But this function shows all highlighted text, not just annotations (comments, notes). Personally, I'd prefer to only see annotations. To find the highlighted part of a pdf, I may as well scroll the pdf. But it is much harder to scroll a pdf to find notes and comments. So, I would prefer to find only notes/comments in the sidebar (or, alternatively, to be able to filter out the highlights)

I hope it's helpful feedback!
  • When this happens, the whole toolbar at the top (from which one accesses the highlight function, etc.) moves to the left, then goes back to the right.
    That's a known issue and will be fixed.
    I know this may be difficult to introduce, but not having a CMD+Z (Undo) command is a pain. Highlighting PDF inevitably involves making mistakes.
    This is planned.
    if you right-click on text, a contextual menu opens up, which includes the command "Add a Note". However, this command is always greyed-out.
    That command is for adding an annotation to the note in the right-hand pane, which has to be open to a note to be available. (You can also drag annotations to an open note or create a note from all annotations of the current PDF.)