Available for beta testing: Online Mendeley importer

In the latest Zotero beta we've added a new Mendeley importer that imports data directly from an online Mendeley library rather than a local database. This avoids the need to install an old version of Mendeley Desktop to work around the database encryption Mendeley added several years ago. Since that time, Mendeley has introduced Mendeley Reference Manager, which is essentially a wrapper around the web library without a real local database, further making any sort of local import infeasible.

If you use Mendeley Desktop, you'll need to make sure that all data and files have been synced to Mendeley servers before importing. (This was already necessary in order to sync with and import from the pre-encryption version of Mendeley Desktop.)

If you use Mendeley Reference Manager, your data and files are already all online.

To begin an import, go to File → Import within Zotero and choose the "Mendeley Reference Manager (online import)" option. You'll be asked to log in to Mendeley to allow Zotero to perform the import. Your Mendeley password is never seen or stored.

The importer is compatible with the existing local importer, so if you've added items to Mendeley since a previous import, you can import again using either tool and new items will be imported without duplicating existing items. The new importer also imports PDF annotations for use with Zotero's new PDF reader.
  • Worked perfectly -- incredible. Thank you so much!
  • Mine is unfortunately very slow, and crashes before completion with a bunch of 401 errors. My library is 1809 files big. I assume the Mendeley API has a bunch of unreasonable limitations to discourage this sort of thing, and thus hard for you to do anything about. Thanks for all your efforts, regardless!
  • @asmusod: We'll have a fix for the 401 errors (which happen if the import takes longer than ~8.5 minutes) later today.
  • @asmusod: Please update to the latest beta via Help → Check for Updates and try again, and let us know how it goes.
  • @dstillman Thanks a bunch, the import now completed successfully!