Feature request: Add annotations for web pages

2»
  • edited March 9, 2023
    I would prefer the possibility to add a web page as pdf and do the annotation work from Zotero reader. Maybe an option to save a webpage as html, as pdf, or both.

Also, just to mention, to me it makes sense to maintain a untouched copy of a webpage.

But as regard to the priority of that - be the possibility to annotate from browser or add webpage as pdf from the connector, I wonder if the current workflow [add item ; save as pdf from edge or plugins like printfriendly etc; switch to Zotero; attach new file] is really so slow, so painful, and really justify something that looks like a lot of work (speaking from a zero code skill perspective I do admit, but reading the discussions it looks like a lot, including issues on speed performance on the connector side).

And If you want to start highlighting straight up from a webpage in your web browser, what if you want to do a re-read or second read in the future and want to change those highlights and comment? Let's say for a fresh start or for any reason. Seems that, but again I am not qualified to say it, the connector will look like the whole reader itself (impacting size, speed, and coding).

A similar comment previously raised by xbarandiaran ask us to put that in perspective with the long run of our workflow.
  • +1

As Zotero users, we have already installed the Zotero plug-in. It would be great if that had a highlighting ability for stored HTML snapshots
  • I agree with alflamingo's solution, I would accept both. And converting to PDF seems more easy to develop, as there are also many other document formats, what would require a standardizing of annotation approach across all of them.
  • That would be super great !
  • I looked at Zotero before for reference management but being able to annotate pdfs on my iPad is what made me try it. Annotating websites would make for a great research workflow, hopefully this can be implemented.
  • We've added annotation support for webpage snapshots in the latest Zotero 7 beta.
  • You're amazing. Thank you !
  • Fantastic! Thank you so much @dstillman!
  • edited February 8, 2024
    The Zotero 7 beta is fantastic, thanks a lot @dstillman for your work.

I've been using Readwise Reader for a 'one stop shop' for content because it had EPUB and website reader capabilities, and these updates narrow the gap substantially. Things that still have it edging ahead:

- A simplified website reader view, which hides the cruft of the website and presents the main text in a nice simplified way. This might be out of scope for Zotero but I only suggest it because Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc. all have this feature built in.

- Youtube transcription syncing. Readwise lets you play youtube videos and follow along with transcripted audio, which allows for highlighting.

- Smart guessing RSS feed URLs from base addresses

- A way to email PDFs and EPUBs in