Recommended update not possible due to folder permission issues in Ubuntu 20.04

When I click on 'Check for Updates' menu item, I am told that there is a newer version of Zotero. However, it cannot be installed because the current (standard) user does not have appropriate file permissions on the install directory.

Is changing standard file permissions for /usr/lib/zotero really the way to go here?

Zotero: 5.0.96
  • edited April 16, 2021
    Remember, you're still not using the official version — you're using the third-party zotero-deb package.

See the package's update instructions.
  • (To clarify, though, a new version of Zotero was only released a few minutes ago, and the package will likely be updated within the next few days if not sooner. This is only an issue in the time between when a new version is put out and the zotero-deb maintainer updates the package.)
  • edited April 18, 2021
    The zotero-deb package used to be automatically updated not more than 24 hours after a new Zotero release, I've changed that to 30 minutes. I'd welcome the Zotero release process kicking off the workflow to release the debs (GH offers an API to kick off workflows) to make that even shorter, but the binaries have to be available to download before it starts.

The message described above only happens when actively searching for an update -- the auto-update mechanism of Zotero is locked to false in the package. I don't think I can disable "check for updates" through configuration changes only, and I do not want to modify anything in the Zotero install itself -- I skip 6 files related to the auto-update mechanism, but all other files will have the exact same checksums as the official binaries as they are just that.