Issues with round brackets switching to square and only in Word

I'm using Juris-M to create a legal citation standard.

For whatever reason, after a recent change I made to my CSL style, which was unrelated to brackets and only added a conditional, my bibliography in Word has started acting up.

While citations at the beginning of the document are fine, after a couple of entries, one CSL group which is supposed to be parenthesized with round brackets in the style is rendered with square brackets in Word (e.g. "(2nd ed.)" turns into "[2nd ed.]"). This happens independent of item type. It is especially surprising as the round brackets are hard-coded in "prefix" and "suffix" of this group.

From that point onwards, this group is only rendered this way, with square brackets. In the very last item in the bibliography this seems to "glitch" out even more, when another group (that in all previous entries was still fine) only changes *one* bracket to square (e.g. "(cited as XYZ)" becomes "(cited as XZY]").

When I try my style in the Style Editor tool of Juris-M, no square brackets are rendered.

Not sure if this might be related to this post in some way: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/65806/parentheses-turned-to-brackets-in-footnotes

The CSL section that makes the difference is the following:

<else-if match="any" variables="editor">
<group>
<text macro="editor-author-note" prefix=" (zit.: " suffix="/"/>
<text value="Autor" font-variant="small-caps" suffix=")"/>
</group>
</else-if>

If I comment this section out of my style, everything is back to normal and all brackets are round. The full style can be found here: https://pastebin.com/NnjWahyC
  • Generally I'd recommen placing opening and closing parentheses together and into a single group, i.e.
    <group prefix=" (" suffix=")">
    <text macro="editor-author-note" prefix="zit.: " suffix="/"/>
    <text value="Autor" font-variant="small-caps"/>
    </group>

That might already help. CSL switches parentheses when they're enclosed in other parentheses -- any of that going on here?
  • Thank you for the prompt response! That change alone already fixed it completely.

The relevant groups are not enclosed in other parentheses, in fact, in at least one instance, the relevant parentheses are the only ones in the entire bibliography entry.