Unable to open zotero:// link to PDF with page number in Microsoft Edge Chromium

Hello good folk,

I have dyslexia and do therefore like to listen annotate my PDFs with the help of the Microsoft Edge Chromium PDF viewer. When i set Edge as Zotero's default PDF viewer I can successfully open PDFs from the Library, but not though a zotero:// link where the page number is included. Example:

zotero://open-pdf/library/items/FGH55MQR?page=25)

This is important because it is a link to an annotation, I extracted with Zotfile though mdnotes to markdown.

when I click the link to tabs are opened in the browser:

http://page=25/

and

file:///C:/Users/Audun/Zotero/storage/FGH55MQR/Ahrens%20-%20How%20to%20Take%20Smart%20Notes%20-%20One%20Simple%20Technique%20to%20.pdf

which displays opens the PDF at page number one

if this could be fixed somehow, I'd be very thankful

best regards,

Audun
  • @AudunJohansen: If you specify one of these Windows batch scripts as the custom PDF viewer in Zotero, the specified page should open correctly: acro2edge.vbs or acro2edge.cmd.

I would recommend the VBS script. With the CMD script, there's a flashing CMD window when opening files. Open the link, click the "Raw" button in the top-right corner, then download the file with Ctrl+S. When selecting the custom viewer ("Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "General" -> "Open PDFs using" -> "Custom..."), you need to navigate to the folder containing the script and enter the full filename by hand. (The file picker filters for .exe and .com files.)

• Thank you very much :) It works perfectly
  • edited August 20, 2021
    @qqbb : Thank you for your indication. But I was stuck in the last step. I could not select the vbs script. When I entered the full filename by hand, there was a 'not found' warning.
  • @Faye_x: Instead of typing the full filename by hand, you could try copy-pasting acro2edge.vbs. This might work if your issue is related to an IME.

BTW, if you're working with PDF annotations, you might want to try Zotero's beta version:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/pdf_reader_preview