Files sync but notes do not; Bulk downloading algorithms need major improvements

After using Zotero for free (Thanks) for a couple of years, this year I paid the full $120 per year yesterday so that I can store articles for my entire nanotechnology class of 60 students. After doing so, the files updated, but the notes that should have been updating all along are not. I see my typed notes such as "full text requested" or "not available" or "pay only" on either my home or my work computers, but neither syncs with the online database properly.

If you can come up with a way to improve your algorithms for finding articles via bulk download, that would be an immense help. I know and have implemented much of my own code into the Zotero Connector preferences to help, but there must be a better way.

Best regards,
Prof. Jim Brenner
  • Not sure what you mean by "bulk download", but if you're referring to your other thread (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/376316/#Comment_376316 ) better to continue the discussion there. You haven't answered my questions there so we don't know what's not working for you.

The notes you're referring to with syncing, are those annotations on the PDF file or Zotero notes?
  • The annotations are Zotero notes. I don't write on .pdf's electronically.
  • I see my typed notes such as "full text requested" or "not available" or "pay only" on either my home or my work computers, but neither syncs with the online database properly.
    See Changes Not Syncing.
  • Thanks. Are those notes that are attached to the item itself (i.e. visible as a yellow "post it" type icon in the middle pane) or only visible in the right-hand pane when you select the PDF?

And do you have these in your personal library on in the group?
  • The notes are just typed into the Notes tab with individual items in subcollections of my personal library, but shortly I do plan to move a major part of my personal library to a group library. There are no graphics.
  • I think dstillman and I understood your issue differently:
    Are you seeing the notes on all synced computers but not online (in which case most likely you're just looking in the wrong place)
    Or are you seeing some notes only on Computer A and some other notes only on Computer B (in which case see the "Changes not syncing" page linked by dstillman)
  • Several hours after I sent this I now do see the Notes showing up online that I typed in last night and this AM on my home computer. I had to turn off the Zotero app on the work computer in order to complete the process successfully. Thanks.