Style Error: [American Geophysical Union]

There are an prominent error I've noticed in the AGU citation style.
First of all, it is not using the journal abbreviations. I've ensured that there is an entry in the journal abbreviation space in the article info, but the full title shows up. Here's a link to the AGU style guide:

http://www.agu.org/pubs/pdf/AuthorRefSheet.pdf

there's other weirdnesses I'm noticing in the bibliography output, and I'll update this if I can determine that it's a result of the style rather than improper input in Zotero. There sure is a lot of variation as to how my references were captured from the web.
  • OK - I'll have a look at this - but would prefer to do that all at once - so please report back with all the errors you've found and I'll correct them.
  • Glad you can work on this. I've been digging and testing, and the only other error I can come up with from the realm of my references is that the series for book sections and journal articles are not being inserted into the bibliographic reference. Example:

Ridgway, K. D., E. E. Thoms, and S. V. Smith (2007), Neogene transpressional foreland basin development on the north side of the central Alaska Range, Usibelli Group and Nenana Gravel, Tanana basin, in Tectonic Growth of a Collisional Continental Margin: Crustal Evolution of Southern Alaska, edited by K. D. Ridgway, J. Trop, J. M. Glen, and M. J. Fisher, pp. 507-547.
    -------------------------------------
    Should read as:

Ridgway, K. D., E. E. Thoms, P. W. Layer, M. E. Lesh, J. M. White, and S. V. Smith (2007), Neogene transpressional foreland basin development on the north side of the central Alaska Range, Usibelli Group and Nenana Gravel, Tanana basin, in Tectonic Growth of a Collisional Continental Margin: Crustal Evolution of Southern Alaska, edited by K. D. Ridgway, J. Trop, J. M. Glen, and M. J. Fisher, Geological Society of America Special Paper 431, pp. 507-547.
    --------------------------------------

The difference being the series title and number (Geological Society of America Special Paper 431). And the series title and number is in italics.

And, according to AGU, a title like this should be abbreviated like (Geol. Soc. Am. Spec. Pap. 431) - but there's not a line for an abbreviated title as would appear for a journal abbreviation. Unless there's an easy workaround, this series title abbreviation I'm not particularly worried about. It's the Journal abbreviation mentioned in my first post that will affect 50% of my references.

Thanks again!
    sean
  • I've changed the journal names to short and added the series for books (not in italics, though) - but the styleguide doesn't say anything about series for book chapters and journal articles, so I haven't done that, either.

Where do you get that from? Also about the series in italics - I find nothing indicating that in the styleguide.
  • Yeah, I missed that it didn't explicitly say to use series in the style guide. I inferred it from looking at example articles and one of their examples in the style guide:

Tullis, T., and J. Tullis (1986), Experimental rock deformation techniques, in Mineral and Rock Deformation: Laboratory Studies, The Paterson Volume, Geophys. Monogr. Ser., vol. 36, edited by B. E. Hobbs and H. C. Heard, pp. 297–324, AGU, Washington, D. C.

Where 'Geophys. Monogr. Ser.' is an AGU book series, but perhaps they just expecting that to be included in the title?
  • yes, that's considered part of the title if you look at the logic of the entry.
    it's easy enough to add, but since it's not according to the styleguide I'd rather not.
  • Sounds good to me. Thanks again!